48: waiting on you

you walked with kakucho out into the streets of kabukicho. the streets were bustling since it was early into the night, people walking coming home from work or going out to find their partner for the night. the air was a bit chillier than it was when you had gotten there, but in a way it felt refreshing.

kakucho was still holding your hand, his fingers interwoven with yours as you silently approached towards a convenience store, only letting go when you went to pick up a basket. he picked up a couple sandwiches, while you grabbed a fruit sandwich and candy.

"do you want a drink?" kakucho asked, heading towards the refrigerator doors.

"yeah. can i have a cider?" you pointed to one of the cans.

"you got it."

he picked up two of them and walked over to you to put them in the basket. instead of adding them to the basket though, you watched him take it out of your hands, making you look up at him.

kakucho winked at you, sending your heartbeat into a stutter. you felt your face heat up, and you tried to keep your facial expression normal as he smiled down at you. it was quite the challenge, though, since all you wanted to do was bury your face in a pillow and scream.

after you paid, he carried the bag of snacks out of the store, walking next to you.

"are you cold? we can head back now if you'd like." he said.

"not really. it feels kind of nice." you assured him.

"we can go find a place to sit and talk for a bit, if you don't mind." he proposed.

"that sounds good." you nodded.

the streets became less busy as kakucho took you down a couple of alleyways. although it was dimly lit, you weren't afraid because he was at your side (and he had to be packing heat).

eventually you reached a park, and you sat down next to him on one of the benches in the playground area. he rummaged through the bag and got out the ciders, opening up one for you.

you gave him a small smile as you took the drink from him and took your first sip. his eyes tracked the movement of you lifting the can to your lips, resting the can on your glossy lower lip to drink.

kakucho's stare took in the rest of your look, his eyes freely roaming around your face and hair down to your outfit.

"who were you supposed to go on a date with?" he asked suddenly.

you looked over at him and met his gaze, taking another drink to buy you a couple extra seconds. you considered what your best move would be.

eh, i might as well tell him.

"rindou." you replied.

kakucho's eyebrows knitted together, waiting for you to say you were kidding.

"rindou.. haitani?" he asked hesitantly.

"yes."

he nodded, but on the inside he was still working to process that information. he knew you and ran had some sort of relationship based off how you treated him after that one night he apparently slept with someone else, but he hadn't really ever seen you interact with rindou.

ran probably told him about my plans, did that cause this? kakucho thought. i still wouldn't have guessed him of all people...

but then again.. maybe he didn't need to.

the same morning you snubbed ran, you had walked down with rindou and were covered in marks. and that time kakucho brought you flowers, rindou was the first thing on your mind when you got back to your apartment.