24: copycat

koko held your hand as you high tailed it out of the restaurant. between your long wait to order and an impromptu sexual encounter, you were starving.

"we can order whatever you want on the way home, just let me know." koko said, glancing over at you. he called his driver to come get you at the entrance.

a moment later, his driver pulled up to the front of the restaurant, koko letting you get in before him.

"take us home." koko told the driver, and he began the trip back.

you weren't really sure how to act after what happened, but koko seemed to be doing better.

what was that about? you wondered. it seemed a little too soon to ask him about his relationship with seishu... but then again he did just become pretty well acquainted with your body.

just as you opened your mouth to ask, koko's phone started ringing. he pulled it out of his pocket and checked the caller id. he sighed before answering it and holding it up to his ear. to give him some privacy, you looked out the window and pretended to not be paying attention.

"what?" koko barked. on the other end of the line, you could hear a male voice talking to him, but you couldn't make out who it was or what they were saying.

"no, i'm busy." he said.

"why can't you handle -" he started, but the other voice started yelling. if you had to guess, it was probably sanzu.

"are you fucking kidding me?" koko paused to let the other person speak.

"fine. i'm on my way."

he hung up the phone and let out a frustrated sigh. you looked over at him curiously, silently asking what was wrong. when koko turned his head and his eyes met yours, his expression softened. he reached up to cup your cheek, stroking your soft skin with his thumb.

"sanzu needs me to go handle something." koko told you gently. he dropped his hand to place on your leg before telling his driver where to go.

nothing this evening was going right, koko thought. first the restaurant service was terrible, then he had that chance meeting with inupi, and now he needed to go clean up a "mess."

"i figured it was sanzu calling based on all the yelling." you admitted.

"he's always yelling about something." koko agreed. "i hate they're busy and i have to handle things like this."

"does this have to do with the rival gang?" you asked.

koko let out a chuckle. "which one?"

you hadn't realized there were multiple, but it made sense. bonten was just covered more in the news and made the common scapegoat of organized crime.

a bit later, you all pulled up to a random alley in the outskirts of tokyo. there was a group of guys in suits outside, milling about, as if they were waiting for someone to come and tell them what to do. it looked like there wasn't anything going on besides them standing there, so you felt a little confused as to what the situation was.

koko unbuckled his seatbelt and went to open his door before turning towards you again.

"want to come?" he offered.

you paused for a moment. you didn't see the harm in going. after all, you'd just be sitting in the car by yourself if you didn't go.

"sure." you smiled.

you got out of the car with koko and walked a step behind him as he approached the other men.

"hey, boss." one of them greeted koko. he noticed he wasn't alone and his gaze slid over to you, giving you a once over before looking at koko.