30: change of heart

"stop fucking around!" kakucho yelled. "put her on!"

"kakucho, sir... there's no one here." the subordinate repeated, his voice shaking a bit as he heard kakucho go completely irate. he just didn't want his superior to shoot the messenger, proverbially speaking.

literally speaking, he already was.

"she couldn't have just disappeared. is there anything there?" kakucho asked.

"uh.. there's a small pool of blood on the ground." he said, squatting down to take a closer look. he winced in pain at the pressure he was applying to his foot. he noticed a chunk of hair nearby too. "and some hair. does she have h/c hair?"

kakucho felt his heart drop straight to the floor.

you were nowhere to be found, and you had been harmed. god knows what they were going to do with you.

he knew he shouldn't have left you alone.

he also felt an immense guilt. they were probably looking for him, anyway. and if kakucho had been there, at least he could've protected you.

"are you sure you didn't see anyone when you went in?" he asked.

"there wasn't a single person around boss. not even at reception."

they all must have fled, kakucho thought.

"oh, i found some clothes..." the subordinate said, looking around a bit more. he spotted something metallic in the bed. "there's also a computer that was hidden in the bed."

kakucho let out a shaky breath. the situation just kept getting worse. your clothes being found also had horrific implications to him.

"..got it." he said. "i know you're injured, but i need you to stay there. i'll be there in 10 minutes, and make sure no one enters the room until then."

"you got it, boss man."

kakucho ended the call. even though he was still taking out enemies, he knew his heart didn't belong on this battlefield.

then he dialed mikey to let him know.

"what?" mikey answered.

"we have a situation." kakucho took a deep breath and rambled on about what was happening. how the enemy caught them off guard, how you were missing and the blood and hidden computer.

"when did this happen?"

"i found out 30 seconds ago."

"god damn it." mikey cursed. "it sounds like they took her."

"that's what i thought too. we know where their hq is, so we can start searching for her there." kakucho sighed.

"go now." mikey ordered. "i've let kokonoi know. reinforcements should arrive in a few minutes. i'll meet you at their headquarters."

he seemed a little shaken up, kakucho thought. usually mikey would've made kakucho coordinate everything and call for additional backup. maybe kakucho was just projecting, though.

now how do i let the others know.. he asked himself before calling one of the others.

"oh hello, kakucho. to what do i owe this lovely surprise?" ran asked, a cool smile evident in his voice over the sounds of shots being fired.

"y/n is gone. i think she was taken by them." kakucho word vomited.

"she's what?" ran's tone immediately changed.

"one of the guys found the hotel door busted open. he said there was blood and her hair found there too." kakucho told him. "we need to go."

"fuck!" ran yelled. "RINDOU! OI OI! RINDOU!!!"