67: but i still love it

you were on the clock now.

you needed to meet him in a couple of hours, but it would still take over an hour to get there by walking. calling a taxi wasn't an option since you had no money or credit card.

standing up from the ground, you went to your closet and changed into a sweatshirt and sweatpants.

i might as well be comfortable, you thought.

since you weren't packing any bags, you only had a few things left to do.

you went over to your desk and sat down. pulling out your desk drawer, you grabbed a pen and a piece of paper. you wrote something down before taping it to the drawer and sliding it shut.

you made sure your desk was clear before heading out of your room and into the main living area.

you grabbed your keys from their usual place and looked down at them, wondering whether you should take them with you. your eyes inevitably drifted to the motorcycle keychain mikey had given you.

it was a thoughtful gift from the man who had been extremely possessive over you.

deciding to keep them, you put them in your hoodie pocket and walked to your door to put on some sneakers. right as you were about to grab the handle to your apartment door, you gave into the temptation and took one last look around your apartment.

your chest filled with sadness knowing this would probably be the last time you would be in that apartment.

there were a lot of good memories that happened in that apartment, however fleeting they might have been.

ran cooking breakfast for you the night after he and rindou stayed over. you and sanzu talking on your couch and he admitted he cared about you. waking up next to rindou and then cuddling back to sleep. kakucho coming by to bring you flowers after they had rescued you.

you clenched your fists tightly, not allowing your resolve to waver.

you took a deep breath and opened the door to the hallway. you kept your eyes on the ground in front of you as you walked down the hallway, focusing on remaining calm and appearing normal for whatever security cameras recording you. you didn't want to run the risk of running into anyone, so you took the stairs down and left out one of the back exits.

a 15 minute walk later, you went into a convenience store and walked up to the clerk at the front of the store.

"hi, do you have a phone i could borrow?" you asked.

but the guy behind the counter looked you up and down, trying to determine if you were a threat. he must have decided you weren't because he handed you the shop phone.

"you can go outside if you want more privacy." he said.

"thank you." you said before walking outside with the phone.

you dialed a familiar number, your pulse speeding up as the phone began to ring.

you waited for him to pick up, but the line just kept ringing until you finally heard his voicemail message.

more than anything, you just wanted to hear his voice. even if it wasn't him speaking to you directly, it was still a small comfort.

the phone beeped so you could record your message.

"hey, it's me." you started. "i'm sorry i haven't called.. things haven't been great, but i think it's time. so i -"

you had to pause as you felt your throat close up, the tears you held back threatening to leave your eyes. you forced a silent breath into your lungs before continuing, keeping your voice steady.