41: wildcard

you were sitting in the cafe, looking out the window to see the crowded streets of downtown shibuya as you waited for the man to bring you your drink.

at least we're meeting in a public place.

a couple seconds later, he sat the cup down in front of you, hearing the noise making you turn to look up at him as he looked at you.

damn if he isn't attractive though. you thought as he sat down across from you.

"by the way, what's your name?" you asked him, picking up your drink and putting it to your lips to take a sip.

"my name? you can call me ren." he smiled. he settled into his seat as you set your drink back down.

"so what did you want to talk about then, ren?"

"you're all business, i see." he chuckled.

"yeah."

"well, i've been looking into his circumstances at the time of his death, and i found something interesting." he said.

"oh? go on." you prompted him.

your eyes were fixed onto his as you watched the gears turn in his mind.

i wonder what he's debating on telling me right now. you wished he would just spit it out, but you knew how you needed to play this. so you just stared at him as he formulated his next thought.

"i think he was killed intentionally." he finally let out, crossing one leg over the other.

you leaned back as you considered what he said.

"interesting. where'd you get that idea?" you asked him.

"i have my resources." he replied.

you tilted your head in a silent question, but he didn't continue. the ghost of a smile stayed on his lips as his expression remained neutral.

so he's not going to reveal his cards?

"citation needed." you told him.

"the source is highly reputable."

the feds?

you hummed in acknowledgment and nodded.

"there's just something that's not adding up there." he said before taking a sip of his drink.

you followed suit since you weren't really sure what to say to that. it sure as shit didn't add up, but you weren't about to reveal everything you knew, either.

"which is why i need your help." he told you. the half smile he wore dropped completely as his expression became serious.

you raised an eyebrow at him.

"with what?"

"to find who did this." he started. "i know you're good with a computer, maybe even better than he was -"

"no." you cut him off.

his eyes widened, clearly not expecting you to refuse him.

"don't you want to figure it out? we can do this together, y/n." he pressed.

"i said no." you said, your tone final.

a tension hung in the air as you sat back in your chair. you stared at each other, and you could feel his eyes sizing you up.

he let out a sigh, closing his eyes for a second before looking at you again.

"what happened to you? this isn't like you, y/n." he tried to tell you earnestly.