14: maybe

sanzu was already waiting on the other side of the door when you opened it to exit mikey's office.

he was probably listening.

"mikey said he wants to see you." you told him.

without even looking at you, sanzu responded, "i know." he brushed past you and closed the door to the office behind him.

you turned back to look at the closed door with your tongue in your cheek. you wondered if you should listen into their conversation.

eh, not worth it.

"sanzu." mikey started.

"yes, boss?" he answered.

"i have a question for you."

the panic alarms went off in sanzu's mind for a second. he hadn't heard you or mikey talk about him, though, so he felt a bit more at ease. his adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed. "what is it?"

"did you hurt honey?" mikey said, his eyes watching sanzu for any type of reaction. his gaze darkened as he added, "she had bruises on her neck. it looks like someone choked her."

maybe they did talk about it and i didn't hear it? sanzu thought as he stared at mikey to try and determine if he already knew. based on his facial expression, he didn't.

"of course not, boss."

"then how did she get them? i thought i made myself perfectly clear that none of you are supposed to harm her." mikey pressed.

"i don't know how she got them." so mikey had no idea? sanzu was surprised you hadn't thrown him under the bus for that.

maybe she isn't that horrible after all.

key word: maybe. he still didn't like how quickly the others were accepting you. you belonged to them, and here the others were suddenly tripping up on you.

first ran, to the point you slept together. he also noticed koko offered to take you shopping, as he did with all his bitches. even kakucho seemed to have a soft spot for you when he spoke of you.

"how do you not know? you were the one who's supposed to be watching her." mikey said coolly.

now sanzu felt a little defensive. he did lock you out of his place that night, but mikey didn't know about that.

"boss, it almost sounds like you care about her."

mikey's brows knitted together.

"are you questioning me right now, haruchiyo? you should know better than anyone else what happens to traitors."

"no. i'm sorry." sanzu backpedaled. there was no one else in the world who he didn't want to piss off more than mikey. a shiver went up sanzu's spine as he thought about the day he got his trademark scars. he would never be on the receiving end of that again.

"i expect you to continue to watch over her. her skills are undeniable. i have a feeling she's going to be a real asset to bonten, so no one should lay a hand on her." mikey instructed.

her skills are undeniable?? ... just as i thought... he likes her too.

sanzu had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. even though he was initially interested in you - well, interested in fucking you - he felt like you might have some ulterior motive with how everyone was taken by you. it was a nuisance.

but maybe a little bit of jealousy would change at least mikey's mind, because his opinion was the one who mattered the most.

"what do i do when she throws herself at the guys? she already fucked ran."