15: husband material

a/n: thank you guys for all the votes and comments!! 🥹 if there are any bonten members you want hmm highlightedlmk <3

the next evening, you and kakucho sat in his car, parked in a lot close to the building bonten was raiding. sanzu, rindou, ran, and mochi were getting ready to conduct it while you performed your duties.

"they'll be here in 10 minutes. take down the cameras now." kakucho instructed.

your fingers flew across the keyboard as you did as he asked.

"what?" you asked as you caught kakucho staring at you.

"you're good at this." kakucho gave you a soft smile.

you let out a single laugh, then you realized he was serious. "i'm not that good. thanks, though."

you directed your attention back to the screen, but kakucho's gaze lingered on you. he watched as you typed in a few more commands and took down the security cameras and alarm system for the house.

"you don't think you're good?" kakucho asked.

you chewed on the inside of your cheek as you thought about it. "don't get me wrong, i know i'm good. i just know people who're better."

"there are people better than you? where are they hiding?"

you laughed as you typed in a couple more commands. "okay, there might not be many people better than me."

"it's interesting. you're a notorious criminal, but you don't seem like the underworld type at all. why do you do all this?"

"do you mean why do i use my powers for evil and not good?" you teased.

"yes. you could be working at an actual company and not caught up in this."

"i guess so." you said skeptically. maybe you wouldn't have been dragged into this shit if you weren't a big name criminal. but you didn't really want to get into it, so you deflected as much as possible. "you don't seem like the type either, kakucho. why do you do it?"

you didn't expect him to actually answer. when kakucho was silent for a moment, you looked over at him. he had his lips pressed together, contemplating the words he was about to tell you.

"i just.. i think i was always meant to live this life. some of the people i looked up to most were delinquents, so it just felt natural." he said.

"they must have been pretty good delinquents if you still looked up to them." you mused. you were surprised by this, but you were trying not to sound judgmental, especially since kakucho did seem like a good person.

"yeah, there was one person i cared about deeply. he was a legendary delinquent." kakucho let out a sad chuckle. "and he was the one person i had throughout life."

kakucho's eyes looked at something into the far distance, remembering the person who gave him much purpose in life.

"where is he now? ... if you don't mind me asking, that is." you asked.

"he died... a long time ago.. protecting me." kakucho said sadly. he cleared his throat a little before continuing. "i know if he were still alive, he'd want me to follow mikey. so i do."

shit, i wasn't expecting that, you thought. this was way sadder than what you thought it would be. you didn't really know what to say.

"i see. i'm sorry for your loss." you said gently.

"it's alright, it was a long time ago." kakucho said, more to reassure himself than you. he rested his left hand on his right shoulder and continued to look in the distance, even though it was dark outside.