25: i'm serious

"what do you want, ran?" you asked, your gaze narrowed as you scowled up at him.

ran flinched. it's not like he thought you'd immediately jump into his arms, but he sure as hell wasn't expecting you to be outright aggressive. he knew he needed to tread lightly.

"i wanted to talk to you." he said, glancing over your head and into your apartment, silently asking to be let in. you caught this and rested your hip against the door jamb, blocking him from entering.

"okay? so talk." you told him.

but you weren't going to let him get off easy. if anything, him stopping by unannounced just pissed you off even more. ran realized it too late, but he was already there and hyped himself up to come talk to you.

he had wanted to take a couple shots to give him liquid courage, but he decided against it, thinking it would probably only make things worse.

"rindou told me what i did the other night. i'm really sorry." he started. "i thought i spent the night with you, honestly y/n."

"mhmm." you hummed skeptically. "she must have looked so much like me for you to think that, huh?"

"no." ran sighed. "sanzu gave me these pills that fucked me up."

"that sounds like a personal problem." you deadpanned.

he pressed his lips together. he was used to calling the shots and doing things on his terms, so a woman saying no to him was uncharted waters. "i'm not trying to use it as an excuse. i'm sorry you saw what you saw, but i want to patch things up between us. i really -"

"wait." you held up a hand, cutting him off. "let me get this straight. you're sorry that i saw it, NOT you're sorry you did it?"

ran's eyes widened as he tried to backtrack. "that's not what i meant, y/n."

"then explain to me what you did mean." you snapped, rolling your eyes at his stupidity.

"i'm sorry about it all. i regret what i did that night, and i shouldn't have treated you that way." ran said. he reached out and tried to caress your cheek, but you dodged his hand, making his eyebrows pull together in anguish. you just stared back at him.

he didn't really didn't seem like the type to apologize. did he just come over there to grovel and beg for your forgiveness? it sure seemed like it.

when he realized you weren't going to reply, he continued. "i want to make things better between us, y/n. i'll put in the work. please just let me make this up to you."

ran looked at you expectantly, waiting for your response. you weren't really sure what to say, but you weren't going to forgive him after one small apology.

"uhh... okay." you said.

"do you not believe me?" he asked, his eyes pleading. he took a step closer to you, gently placing his hands on your shoulders as he looked down at you.

"not really." you answered blankly. it's not like you wanted to feel that way, but the facts didn't look good.

you could see the hurt and disappointment in his face as ran processed your words. his gaze focused to the floor between you two, trying figure out what his next best move might be.

he let out a small exhale before looking back at you.

"you don't have to do anything, y/n. i'll make things better and ensure it doesn't happen again. i'm serious about you." he confessed.

your eyes widened a bit. "you what?"

"i'm serious about you." he repeated, eyes searching yours to find any hints of how you felt. when he couldn't find anything besides surprise, he continued.

"you don't have to say anything. i just wanted you to know. i don't want that night to be how you see me." ran said. he reached up to tuck a lock of hair behind your ear, but he stopped himself.

there was something about the way he was speaking to you that seemed so genuine that almost made you believe him.

hell nah, this ain't the time for feelings. you caught yourself.

make decisions with your head, not your heart.

the damage was done, but if he wanted to make things better you'd let him. not that you were really expecting him to put any effort in anyway.

"um... alright." you said, a little stiff and caught off guard from his sudden confession. "i... i think i need some space for now."

you watched his reaction as you told him, but he didn't look any more upset by this. instead, he sadly nodded in acknowledgement. ran knew he was to blame for how things ended up.

"okay. i'll be waiting for you." he said earnestly before curling his lips up into a somewhat forced smile, squeezing your shoulders slightly before taking his hands off them.

unsure of what to do, you gave him a small nod before closing the door, leaving him in the hallway.

ran tousled his hair and let out a sigh.

"that went worse than expected." he said to himself.

to be honest, ran was dumbfounded. he didn't think you were capable of being so harsh and emotionless. not to mention he was genuinely sorry, but you weren't having any of it.

he turned around to face rindou's apartment door and let himself in. he never bothered knocking, much to rindou's dismay. ran didn't mind when he'd walk in on him doing stuff.

besides, rindou was already standing on the other side of the door, clearly eavesdropping on your conversation.

nosy ass kid, ran thought, staring down at his little brother.

"i told you going after her was a bad idea." rindou said as ran shut the door and went to go grab a beer from the fridge.

"she was so harsh with me, rindou. i didn't know she could be so mean." ran said, ignoring his brother completely. he cracked open a beer and took a couple of gulps.

"yeah, i heard." rindou said. "you shouldn't have fucked around with her in the first place though."

"why does that matter? it doesn't change the current situation." ran said. he covered his face with his hands and leaned back in frustration. "fuck! what am i going to do?!"

"about what?" rindou asked.

"about y/n! i want her to be mine! all mine!"

he's so pathetic. all this over her? rindou thought, a disgusted expression settling on his features.

"you need to get a hold of yourself, ran."

ran uncovered his face to look over at his brother and give him the side eye. he let out a light scoff before taking another sip of his beer.

"don't act like you don't feel some type of way about her too. she's not just some random bitch. she's just here like the rest of us and has accepted it. and holy fuck is she good in bed." ran sighed happily.

"i couldn't tell by the way she jams her tongue down your throat." rindou remarked dryly, rolling his eyes at the memories of you and his brother making out.

"you sound so jealous right now." ran laughed, walking over to rindou to ruffle his hair like he did when he was younger.

rindou tried swatting ran's hand away as he scattered the purple and blue locks.

"you've always been that way." ran observed before taking another sip of his beer. "you and y/n are actually a lot alike."

"don't compare me to her." rindou scoffed. he turned to look at his reflection in the shiny stainless steel refrigerator to fix his hair, trying to get his blue layer of hair back in the right jellyfish formation.

when ran let out a chuckle, rindou gave his brother a side flare.

"what?" he demanded.

"nothing." ran smirked.

"what?!"

"she actually said the same thing about you, too."

rindou ran his tongue over his top teeth, shaking his head as he continued to fix his hair.

"that bitch..." he mumbled, making ran laugh some more.