FORTY SEVEN

Palpatine gave the Emperor and Empress's knights three days. When no word had been received, he took matters into his own hands.

~~~

Rey stood in a room with Resistance generals. Leia was on one side of her and Poe on the other.

"We have decoded intel that the Emperor and Empress have taken an indefinite leave from the First Order. They are in search of some great power to end us all but none of our sources had any clue what it could be. They have said the Empress has kept it very tight lipped and any person who discovers what it is shows up dead before they have the chance to tell anyone else," Poe reports.

Rey sucks in a breath as her mind races. Was it possible that this great power was the fated evil from the prophecy?

"What did the latest report say about the size of their fleet?" General Leia asks. Poe scrolls through his data pad.

"As of a week ago it was 3,000 but as of yesterday it was 8,000."

"8.000?! This is completely unheard! They can't possibly have built such a large fleet in just a few days!" an admiral exclaims.

"If that fleet launches we're done for. The Resistance can't possible survive that," another says glumly,

"We've survived once," Finn says. "We can survive again."

"Hope will always survive. We've already proved that. We went from a ship full of rebels to an army. You've shown the galaxy that there is something to fight for," Lando exclaims.

"There has to be way to stop it. A weakness," Finn reasons. No one answers.

"My people are starving! If I had surrendered to the First Order when they came to power, we would be in a far better position. Thanks to you, we'll be destroyed when this war is lost," an angry alien yells. "I trusted you people and I ignored the First Order in their repeated attempts to help my people! Look where it ahs gotten me!" He yells. Rey does a double take when she hears his words.

"Did you just say the First Order has continued to reach out with assistance?"

"That's what I said!" Rey nods as she thinks. Perhaps her sister really is trying to help the galaxy.

"Hope is all we have left," Leia says softly. "You're letting it die. This is what the First Order wants. They want us to lose hope, because they know, that they are in control as long as there's fear. We aren't the ones fearing them, they're the ones fearing us."

Suddenly every transmitter in the room starts to crackle. Every hologram starts to jitter. It grows louder, as if a signal is adjusting itself for broadcast. Every droid in the surrounding area, every speaker on the planet, is projecting the same thing, and everyone is stunned, frozen in time.

"A message..." a cold, scratchy voice calls out. "The day of victory grows nearer. The work of decades is soon to be finished. The great error shall be corrected and revenge be dealt to those who fought for it. I am back... And we will save the galaxy..." The voice cuts out.

"Who was that?" Poe Dameron asks quietly.

"That was Emperor Palpatine," Leia whispers. "He's back."

"Rhy, what have you done?" Rey whispers.