FOURTY NINE

Rey raises her saber just in time to deflect. She plays defense perfectly as Ver strikes harder and harder. Rey finds herself getting pushed farther and farther back.

Rey may be strong but she was not near as strong as Ver. In truth, her abilities nearly perfectly mirrored Kylo's. But Ver's was far stronger. Her power nearly perfectly mirrored Emperor Palpatine.

"You've been blinded, Rhy!" Rey yelled in between blocks. "The First Order isn't the salvation the galaxy needs!"

"I have helped more beings than you know as Empress! I have done good by the beings of the galaxy while you and your friends have disturbed the order!"

"The galaxy is filled with so many beings and planets! Don't they all deserve a voice! Order does not mean the same thing to everyone! Your so called 'order' is tyranny. For every being you help, you hurt hundreds more!" Rey screamed. Ver snarls in response at her and strikes even faster and harder than before. Rey landed a kick to Ver and she skidded back.

Rey looked at the girl that once was her sister. She didn't recognize the woman who now stood before her. This woman was so full of hate and power. She didn't recognize the Empress who glared back at her.

Rey blocked a high strike from Ver but her saber cut into a basket of fruit from a village stand behind her. The fruit spill onto the ground in front of her and Ver. Ver looks down and kicks a few of them to the side. They roll and disappears from Rey's view.

"Rhy!" Rey gasps as Ver pushes forward. She closes her eyes and focuses very deeply on severing the connection formed with her sister. She saw no way she could beat the overpowering empress. The strands of force that Ver so carefully wove unravel. Just as the last unwind, Rey speaks once more. "Goodbye, sister."

~~~

Ver looks at the fruit at her feet. She kicks one against the wall in anger. Anger flowed through her as she let out a scream. Her power filled the room and the walls around her shook. Lighting spout out around her Ver hugged herself tightly. Her knees gave out and Ver slumped to the ground. Electricity still shot out round her.

The force echoes her cries. It sent waves of power out.

In her head, Ver was spiraling. The great Emperor Palpatine was her grandfather. Ver had accepted that ages ago. But actually meeting the man? She had never expected that. Ver had idolized the grip he had over the galaxy in the prime years of the Empire. There was order back then. Yet now that she had met her grandfather, Ver wasn't certain he was oh so great anymore.

Ver wasn't certain that the galaxy was better off with her at the helm any longer.

She tried bringing order. She tried helping those in need. But no matter what she did, she faced strong resistance. For two years, she did everything she could but it wasn't enough. Her sister still stood against her. Why?

Did she not see all that Ver was trying to do for the galaxy?

Ver sobbed as the weight of the galaxy crippled her. Lightning shot around her sporadically before eventually dying out. The force surrounding Ver calmed. Time passed slowly as Ver crumbled.

Hours later, with a shaky breath, Ver stood and dusted herself off. She wiped her tears and did her best to compose herself. Ver used the force and called one of the scattered fruits to her, then stepped out of the throne room on her star destroyer.

"ST-8999, bring this fruit to analysis," she said coldly. Her mask was back in place and the only signs of her distress was the redness of her eyes and nose. "I want to know everything about it immediately!"

"Yes, Empress," the soldier responded. She went to leave but hesitated.

"Do you require more information? I believe my instructions were very specific!" Ver snapped.

"It's just... the Emperor has been calling for you for hours, Empress. I was sent to alert you but... you seemed preoccupied. I didn't wish to intrude," the trooper rushed out. ST-8999 flinched under Ver's cold stare.

"You were scared. You are scared," Ver muses. "Why?"

"Am I... to answer your question?" the soldier asks timidly. Ver made no move to respond so teh trooper continued. "Empress, you can be... intimidating and you sounded upset. I didn't want to disturb you and well, upset you further."

"Intimidating how?"

"You lash out, Empress, and well you're the most powerful being in the galaxy. Everyone knows that. No one wants... to get on your bad side and face your wrath." The female trooper says carefully. She flinches once more as Ver looks her over.

"Everyone fears me?" Ver asks. Although she had once wanted to be feared, she now found herself wishing to be loved by everyone instead.

The world will fear you. You will rule it.

Kylo had uttered those words to her three years ago when he offered her a spot by his side. Ver had accepted with little hesitation. Over the years, Ver had very little regret over her choice. But now she was unsure of everything.

"Is that not want you want, Empress?"

"I suppose it is. No why is it you are here?" Ver snapped in haste to cover the raw emotion she had displayed.

"The Emperor has been calling. He would like to speak with you immediately," ST-8999 rushed out.

Ver froze. Her mind raced as she tried to figure out what Emperor Palpatine wanted with her now. He was already requiring so much of her and with her power so unstable at the moment, Ver wasn't sure how much more she could give him.

"Palpatine?" She asked quietly. The trooper tilted her head under her helmet, confused.

"Emperor Ren, Empress. Emperor Palpatine is emperor no more. The First Order answers to our Emperor and Empress." Ver offered the soldier a small smile.

"I will return his calls immediately. Go. Take the fruit to analysis. I want its analysis expedited."

ST-8999 rushed off with the fruit and Ver sighed. She now had an unwanted call with Kylo to deal with.

---

I'm so sorry its taken me so long to update. I've ha trouble deciding how to get to the ending I planned months ago. I think I know how to get there now so I should be updating more often. 

Where do you think the stories going?