FOURTY EIGHT

"They failed," Kylo mutters. Ver hugs herself tightly.

"Did they now? And who could have predicted that?" Palpatine sneers.

"We will go after her ourselves. After that little stunt you pulled I have no doubt she is searching for us."

"That will make it so much easier for you to find her."

"What happens... after we capture Rey?" Ver asks, hesitantly. A faint slimmer of worry can be detected in her voice. Kylo looks at Ver with surprise. He wasn't expecting such a question from his love.

He despised Rey and couldn't care less about what happened to her. He knew Ver would have more conflicted feelings given that they were sisters but he didn't expect such worry from her.

"She will join us," Palpatine says confidently. Ver uncorsses her arms and stands strong in front of the old and crippled sith.

"But she has no desire to join the FIrst Order. I've tried. She believes the Resistance will bring about more good." Kylo shifts uncomfortably.

"And what do you think?" Palpatine questions coldly. Ver clenches her fists as she allows her power to surround her. The force practically crackles around Ver. Palpatine smiles.

"I think the First Order is able to more effectively help the galaxy as compared to the Resistance," Ver snaps. She steps forwards with anger. "I think people are dumb and need a strong leader to guide and help them. I think Kylo and I are the leaders this galaxy needs. I also think that you are now questioning my loyalty."

"So what if I am?" Palpatine prods.

"The only person's who's loyalty should be questioned is yours. Where have you been the last three decades? Hiding?" Ver scoffs.

"Plotting, planning..." Palpatine answers cooly. "Prepping for the battle soon to come. A battle I don't know where you will fight at." Lightning flashes above as Kylo pales. He looks between Ver and the sky.

"Ver..."

"I think I'm getting tired of this questioning. I think I'm getting tired of you," she snaps.

Her hand instinctively shoots towards Palpatine and lightning flies outward. Palpatine shoots lightning back and their attacks meet. Ver skids backward. The two lightnings clash until Ver's begins to fade. Palpatine sends a strong wave at Ver. She screams and falls back. Her head slams into the ground.

She lays their, unmoving, as Kylo rushes to her side. He pulls her head into his lap as he glares at Palpatine.

"What did you do?" He snaps at Palpatine. The old man smiles cruelly.

"I'm bringing her to her full potential. The dear young Ver is a Palpatine. It's time she started using the powers of one."

Kylo checks Ver's pulse and sighs in relief when he finds it. He gently brushes a loose lock of hair from her face. Ver's signature low bun had fallen out and the girl's hair was now sprawled across Kylo's lap. If Ver had just been sleeping and not knocked unconscious, Kylo would have thought Ver looked angelic. But his worry superseded his thoughts of her beauty.

"Bring Rey to me. I don't care how you do so," Palpatine orders. "Although using the connection between the sisters may come to our advantage."

~~~

Ver closes her eyes and begins the process of rebuilding the psychic connection she once had with her elder sister. Strand by strand she weaves the force into a rope within the universe to connect the two once more. The blue, shimmery image of trillions of beings surround her as she continues. The web of strands winds until Ver is brought to the one she searches for.

"Rey," she calls out softly. The shimmery Rey turns around and looks puzzled. Ver strains as she tries to make out her sister's surroundings. "Oh, sister," she calls out louder than before.

Rey turns and sees Ver. A smile forms on her face.

"Rhy, how are you? It's been awhile," Rey says carefully. The two sisters conversations were almost never peaceful and Rey did not want that to happen once more.

"I've been looking for you, sister," Ver whispers. A creepy calm spreads over Rey.

"Well I'm right here," Rey chuckles. It comes across forced. Ver glances around Rey trying to make her surroundings appear but none do.

"Have you discovered the truth of our ancestry yet?" Ver asks, stalling. Rey was surprised with how... nice the conversation was going.

"We both know I haven't. I searched records but I never figured out who Eva was. Or anyone else in our family for that matter." Rey sighs. "Are you here to just rub it in more?" Ver smirked.

"No. I'm actually here to tell you or rather lead you to the truth. So tell me, dearest sister, where are you? Let me bring you home."

"My home is the Resistance. My home is you, Rhy. You can pretend to be someone else all you want, but I know the truth. I know you are my sister. The same sister I knew on Jakku. The same sister I loved on Jakku."

"You still think of me as the same sister who you used on Jakku. Weak, defenseless, spineless. I have power now. I am strong. I am the strongest being in the universe."

"Rhy... power does not make you strong- love does. But your power, Leia has a theory on it. I tried to tell you before. Please listen to me now."

"Where are you, sister? It's high time we are reunited," Ver's voice is cruel.

"Rhy listen to me! There is something you need to know." Ver sneers.

"Then tell me, sister. What is oh-so important?" Rey flinches.

"The force... it works to balance the scales." Ver blinks. Rey's answer puzzles her and Ver does not like not knowing the answer.

"Thats what you had to tell me? That is what is so important?" She asks cooly. She tilts her head as she examines her sister.

Rey has aged little since Ver last saw her. He face has filled out more. Her hair still remains in its signature three buns though. Few fly aways surround her face. Her brown eyes are wiser though. They show the sadness Rey has experienced in her 22 years of life.

"A silly riddle about the force?" Ver sneers.

"You have a great power through it, Rhy. No one can dispute that. But why? The force works in balance so why has such a great power returned for you?"

"Because I have a galaxy to save. The galaxy needs order. Kylo and I can provide that."

"Rhy you aren't understanding!" Rey snaps. Ver smiles, it looks almost genuine.

"There's the sister I know," she whispers. She takes a breath before refocusing. "Where are you, sis?"

"I'm not going to tell you that, Rhy." Rey says with a sigh. Ver smirks.

"Very well then. You leave me no choice, Rey. The First Order must survive and this is the only way."

Ver lights her saber and attacks.