Chapter 8

LISA

One school day full of agony later I stood in the middle of the schoolyard and looked for my bus ticket with difficulty. I just didn't want to be in a car with Jennie again. What would other people think...

A little further down in my backpack I found a crumpled foil with my card in it. Luckily, because I wasn't sure anymore if I still had it anywhere...

"You're going by bus?" I turned to Rosé who was standing further away with a few others.

I usually never took the bus, so I was all the more amazed.

"Yes. - I felt like it once." However, Rosé's still dexterous face morphed into a smirking one.

"Sure, shall we sit together?"

"Yes, gladly." I smiled at Rosé before we both headed towards the bus. Of course it was clear to me that Jennie wanted me to go with her, but she couldn't do anything because we didn't 'know' each other at school, so why shouldn't I take advantage of that?

"How was your weekend?"

"Fine, except that I almost got pushed off a skyscraper." Of course I didn't say the last part, after all that would just be too embarrassing... I got on the bus with Rosé and had slumped back on one of the back seats. As such, those seats were so unsanitary and uncomfortable, but I wouldn't spend another minute with Jennie unless it was necessary!

JENNIE

I sneaked up behind the yellow car. Of course she had to resist me and, stubborn as she is, got on that bus too...

We would have been at the house 10 minutes ago if she hadn't been so stupid... Basically, I didn't even understand what was so bad about me, shouldn't I be the one who would like to be miles away from her? I mean seriously, Lalisa was the most annoying and exhausting girl I've ever met...

She was so careless with her uncertain life that I sometimes fear that she did it on purpose... Which in retrospect was nonsense, because now I was here and that was one of the things she definitely didn't want.

A quiet song was playing on the radio, which calmed my mind a little.

I hummed along quietly and ticked the steering wheel, which didn't even sound that bad.

It was hard to even get as calm as I was right now. Although Lisa was on the bus, she forgot that I also had other technology. High techniques that far exceeded hers.

When she slept last night, I hid a small bug behind her ear. It is also a GPS signal and tells me exactly where she was. In addition, she was grown in such a way that I could see exactly what she was doing.

Yes, that may well be the strangest thing about this whole thing, since I could see everything. I really don't have to worry that I might try it because Lisa just wasn't my type and I didn't even want to see her naked. I was designed to take personal security seriously. There was no time for touchy-feely nonsense.

I was standing calmly at the counter in the kitchen when Lisa came in.

"Looking out must have failed." A mischievous little laugh crossed her mouth as if she had won a game, but she was wrong.

"You could maybe work with me instead of fighting it like that."

She rolled her eyes and brushed off her pants.

"Working with you? I'd rather be kidnapped."

"Lalisa, this is not a game!" I spoke a little upset. Why was she so damn stubborn about this?

"I know, otherwise it would be fun. But this-" She pointed between us.

"It's the complete opposite." In a second she turned and left the kitchen to climb the stairs.

I sighed in irritation before turning to face the kitchen window. Mr. Manoban's mercedes pulled into the driveway and I noticed his quick parking.

Before he even switched off the engine, he got out of the car with quick movements and walked towards the house with long strides. His face seemed tense and nervous at the same time. What was going on?

I pushed myself off the counter and walked slowly into the hallway, where I could hear the echo of the key being turned in the lock.

"Miss Kim?!" He shouted straight into my face, startled. The man in front of me looked at me with big eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were right outside the door."

"No problem. What's the matter?"

Because of his excitement, he had completely forgotten what he wanted to say, I suspected strongly, since he now put his hands on his head.

"That's right, there was something important."

Together we went to his study, which was in the basement.

"It's about the people who want to do something to Lisa or me." I nodded attentively and sat down in the leather chair directly in front of the desk.

Mr. Manoban had set up his study quite comfortably, which struck me at first as Mr. Manoban didn't really seem to have a good atmosphere.

Some pictures, collection items or even a hunting weapon hung on the wall. I actually thought Mr. Manoban wasn't the type to hunt, but I was wrong about this man anyway, whether I wanted to or not.

Mr. Manoban sat down in his leather seat and folded his hands together on the table.

"I received a threatening letter this morning... I have the slightest suspicion that they want to kidnap Lisa and demand ransom... although I also believe that the money would be pointless. They want to hurt me in both ways, financially and emotionally..."

Mr. Manoban sighed and slumped back into his seat.