Chapter 10

JENNIE

After the conversation with Mr. Manoban, which felt like hours, was over, I left his room a little broken. After all, I sat there for an hour and he had told me all his stories.

"Never again..." I whispered to myself and went up the stairs into the hallway. Strangely enough, I had the feeling that something wasn't right. Especially the wardrobe looked different than before.

I went up the stairs to check on Lalisa as I had a sneaking suspicion that she had slipped away.

It was pitch dark in her room, so I turned the light switch. The room relieved itself and showed itself empty...

"Why again and again, Lalisa..." I whispered and went to her bed to look for clues or something else.

Now her cell phone was on the bed which let me infer that she thought I was tracking her through her cell phone or that she didn't want me to call or text her.

She was smart, you'd have to give her that. However, I was just smarter than her. I would be an idiot if I only focused the GPS on her phone.

The bug on her ear was probably more inconspicuous than some would think. Which of course was an advantage for me.

Shocked, I looked at the broken window and the bullet casing that lay a few meters away from me.

I quickly got up and stomped down the stairs.

"Miss Kim, what is-" But I didn't let the angry man finish, who was about to come up from the basement, but turned him around and hauled him back into the basement.

"Mr. Manoban, lock the door and hide under your desk. Just don't make a peep and don't open the door!"

"Is something wrong with Lisa?!"

I immediately shook my head, well at least I hoped nothing had happened to her otherwise I would lose my job.

"I'll get her to safety and if I can be sure everything's fine then I'll go get her."

"Take her to Moscow, my private jet is at the airport, we-"

"No, I won't leave you here alone."

"Miss Kim-"

"No, we'll get you. Besides, Lalisa would probably never forgive me."

The somewhat grim-looking man in front of me nodded slowly, when I closed the door, I heard the lock being closed from the inside. Without further ado, I slowly walked up the stairs.

It was quiet, too quiet...

I walked quickly to my car and drove off. The attempted attack on Lalisa naturally caused unrest, since one light after the other went on in the neighborhood. Whoever tried to possibly kill her didn't think it through very cleverly.

"Where are you, Lalisa..." I whispered tensely to myself and looked at the display of my car. A red dot that should represent Lalisa was shown to me. I step on the gas and made my way to her...

LISA

Startled, I turned around and saw Eunwoo in front of me.

"Lalisa? Hey, I thought something happened to you." He purred, a little shocked, which made me frown.

To make everything a little clearer: Eunwoo is a neighbor of mine and has been since the beginning... We always got along well, but at some point we parted ways.

"Well after gunshots were fired into your room, my family thought the worst."

"What shots?" My eyes widened.

"Yes, grandma just called us and said all hell was breaking loose because shots were fired and your window was completely smashed."

I stood up in a flash, gasping for air.

"I have to go to my dad, is he alright?!"

Eunwoo shrugged.

"He didn't come out as far as I know."

I turned to Jungkook to show with a movement that we should go. He nodded in shock and followed me out of our favorite café.

"Don't you think he exaggerated?"

"To be honest I hope so, now we're just-"

But before I could even finish, a black car appeared on the main street. She drove along like a madman and headed for the road directly in front of us.

"Who is that now?" Jungkook looked at me questioningly, but I just looked intrigued at this car.

Because I knew who the crazy driver was in there...

The car pulled up in front of us with an emergency brake before a stressed out Jennie stepped out.

"We're leaving now."

"Where's dad?" My voice quoted slightly as I didn't see him in the car.

"We'll get him, but get in first."

Again I ignored her request.

"He's fine, right?"

Jennie gritted her teeth in annoyance before nodding.

"Yeah, Lalisa, now get in that damn car!"

I nodded slowly and walked to the door with quick steps.

"See you, Kook. Watch out." Jungkook nodded slightly overwhelmed and slowly walked towards his car.

Without wasting another second, Jennie revved the engine and hit the gas.

"We'll pick up your dad and we'll sort out everything else." Without speaking, I just nodded and let myself be pushed into the seat.

The few minutes of driving passed like hours, during what felt like hours it was quiet, only the engine and the passing cars made noises.

When I got home, Jennie looked at me briefly.

"Stay in the car and keep your head down. I'll be right back with your father. Please just don't stand out..."

I immediately nodded and watched as Jennie quickly got out of the car and ran into the house. As I waited, I looked at my room window, which was completely shattered. My breath caught in shock. What if I was standing right there? What if it hit me?

A short huff ran down my spine, each scenario playing out in my head, causing a tremor.

What if it hit my dad?