Chapter 26

JENNIE

After Lisa had robbed of my last nerve again, I went to my room. This girl didn't make it easy for someone, no, not at all.

No matter what technique I used, she made it clear to me again and again how she hated me.

Actually, this was exactly what I wanted. Well, she was supposed to be neutral towards me, hate wasn't actually meant. However, maybe it's better this way. I couldn't risk again that a connection would be made.

Not again.

So to give my thoughts a different direction, I decided to take a shower first. The water would relax me and maybe bring me other thoughts.

To my regret I would share the bathroom with Lisa... Why didn't she just have her own bathroom up there instead of the study?

Sighing slightly, I pulled a fresh black shirt, gray sweatpants, dark socks and new underwear out of my black bag.

I remember buying it in a little shop in New Jersey when I was 17. Back when so many things were still fine.

After 1 week everything had changed completely.

Bella, mom, dad, my life. Just everything.

With my clothes I went from my room across the hall to the bathroom.

When I opened the door, I was greeted by the pleasant smell of fresh towels.

I closed the door behind me and put my things on the heater so as not to freeze after the shower. Immediately afterwards I turned on the shower and got rid of my clothes, which by now smelled a little again. I threw these in the laundry basket before putting my hand under the water to feel the temperature.

When the water had reached a pleasant warmth, I stood completely under it. The water pattered down my tense skin and relaxed it.

Breathing heavily, I leaned back against the cool wall and let my thoughts run free.

Since it was so quiet in the house, I had a hard time assuming that Lisa was asleep, anything else would be unrealistic, since she probably wouldn't be stupid enough to run away.

After I finished showering, I got out of the shower and dried off. I quickly put on the meanwhile warm clothes and went to the mirror. I found a hair dryer in a drawer which I plugged into the separate socket.

I quickly blow-dried my hair so that it was quite messy on my head. I put the hair dryer back in its place and walked out of the bathroom.

I felt a lot better after taking a shower. Now, I would have a reasonably clear head again.

So I decided to do a little work on the case by passing through the files and notes. Understandably, I would go to the office, which was right next to Lisa's room. That would still be something, I was sure of that.

I slowly trudged up the stairs, careful not to wake the little princess.

However, to be on the safe side, I went to her door and listened to the noise. At first I didn't hear anything and wanted to go inside, but I stopped when I listened more closely and heard a little snoring.

So she was snoring again?

I slowly walked away from her door and walked towards the opposite door. I opened it with the latch and entered. Right after that I closed the heavy door and looked around. Lots of bookshelves, a desk, a couch and a table. A typical office.

Actually, wait...

However, I was sure that there was a secret safe or something like that. I didn't know Eunho, but such a modern house would definitely have a safe.

That's why I decided to browse the shelves first.

I pulled out each book, anxious to find a secret door or compartment. Failing that, I rattled through the pictures, unpinned them and looked underneath but there was nothing that I could possibly have realized as this would have to be one of the most ridiculous hiding spots.

I didn't find anything at the desk either, which made me sigh a bit desperately. I unsuccessfully threw myself onto the sofa and tapped on the armrest. There had to be a hiding place... just something.

I slowly leaned back, but felt something sharp, which is why I sat down straight again and turned to the back of the sofa. I pulled it but felt resistance, I tried this several times until it gave way and a key and a note were in the compartment.

Congratulations, you found the safe. Carry the key with you and don't lose it! After you close the backrest again, the safe is locked. You put the key in the back leg of the sofa, it's hard to see, so look carefully!

Eunho must have been pretty smart. At least he can't have done that for the first time, since the construction is quite unusual. I grinned briefly at this safe, I hadn't experienced anything like that for a long time.

I took the two things out, hanging the key, which was on a string, around my neck. As you know it from a chain, but I hid the cold metal under my shirt. After all, this would be far too conspicuous.

So after finding the safe, I closed it again and turned to the files on the table. I could already tell that this would probably take a little longer.

I had to figure out how they could locate us so quickly. Maybe we had a leak, except for Lisa who was so careless about it. However, I cannot and do not want to believe that Lisa is to blame for this, even if I would like to.

I knew we were found in Moscow, I noticed this as soon as we landed. At the airport there was a black Ford Mustang, actually quite conspicuous, so you might think that it would be too conspicuous, but it was always right next to us, no matter where we were. Even after Lisa was gone... but I didn't understand why they hadn't taken the chance when Lisa was alone.

No, simply killing didn't play a role here. It was about much more...