Chapter 9

JENNIE

I looked up at Mr. Manoban's tense face, totally confused about the current situation.

"I don't want to offend you, but Lalisa doesn't really make my job easy either... she's so stubborn, hot-headed, self-centered and simply-" I didn't say any more, after all it was his daughter and I didn't want to let my anger out on him.

"I know..." Mr. Manoban broke the short silence in which only the ticking of the clock could be heard.

"She is just like her mother. You know, Lisa hasn't had it easy in life." I looked at the mid 40-year-old man in disbelief.

"We did have money, but that didn't make every kid happy, and Lisa was the kind of kid who didn't value wealth, which, in hindsight, is a great trait. She preferred to have friends to play with. Most of the kids at school weren't very nice to her. They were jealous of the possessions. At a certain point, Lisa closed herself up and let a cool side come out."

A bit shocked by Mr. Manoban's speech, I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I didn't know that, she never seemed to... value friends..."

"At some point you give up things you've fought for a long time."

Mr. Manoban rose from his chair and paced his study.

"I really trust you, Miss Kim. You have to pay even more attention to Lisa. In 3 weeks you two will fly to Moscow. A good friend owns an apartment there and puts it at our disposal."

I slowly nodded and looked around the room. Actually, I would have thought that I would complete this case in less than 3 weeks.

"I'm sure that in at least 2 weeks I'll be able to track down the mastermind of this whole thing."

Mr. Manoban smiled slightly and threw himself off the table.

"I'm happy to hear that, even if the main reason is that my daughter is annoying you."

I bit my lip a little. It didn't come across as very professional if I just wanted to work fast to get rid of my client.

"Don't get me wrong, my goal from the start was to find the mastermind and put an end to worse things. It has nothing to do with your daughter."

He nodded, but it was immediately clear to me that he didn't buy this from me.

LISA

I lay in bed bored and looked outside. A few raindrops hit the window and then flowed down.

The beeping of my cell phone startled me before I turned to it.

Want to do something today? ;)

Jungkook had written to me, I noticed. A small smile crossed my lips and lifted my spirits quite a bit.

Sure, right now?

An answer came shortly afterwards.

Yes, I'm practically standing in front of your house.

I quickly got up to go down the stairs, strangely nobody was there. Jennie wasn't in her room but she had to be here and dad's car was outside too.

A little confused, I heard voices from the basement. Dad was probably in his study... but why was Jennie down there too?

At least that's what it sounded like when the dark voice heard it.

I walked slowly down the stairs and listened to the conversation.

"We did have money, but that didn't make every kid happy, and Lisa was the kind of kid who didn't value wealth, which, in hindsight, is a great trait. She preferred to have friends to play with. Most of the kids at school weren't very nice to her. They were jealous of the possessions. At a certain point, Lisa closed herself up and let a cool side come out."

Was my dad just addressing Jennie about me or how should I interpret that?

My father actually never talked about me since my mother was gone. I never knew what the reason was, but I just started to accept it.

Sometimes he was bitter when he looked at the old pictures. He took it even though I advised him not to, but my father just stayed stubborn. Why couldn't he let go of unimportant things?

Without really following the conversation any further, I went up the stairs. I put on my shoes before putting on my jacket.

When I closed the door from outside, I saw Jungkook standing by his car.

"What did you do? Showered or what?" I laughed lightly and walked towards him.

"Hello to you too. What do we want to do?"

"Don't know, want to go to the cinema?"

"No, nothing is going on there... How about park?"

"During the day yes, at night you can't get me there." Jungkook has always been a bit of a scaredy-cat when it came to things like that, and I loved anything that was daring and scary.

"Then let's just go eat. I haven't eaten anything yet."

"Well then, let's go." Gentleman like, he held the door open for me before jogging around and doing the same.

-

"Once pesto with gorgonzola." I gasped as I choked back a laugh at Jungkook. The waiter gave me a confused look before turning to Jungkook and asking politely for his order.

When he had ordered his spaghetti too, the waiter walked away, leaving the two of us laughing.

"You are impossible, my dear!"

"Leave me alone." Jungkook snapped up easily and crossed his arms.

If his actions weren't so conspicuous I wouldn't laugh so much, but he was simply too incapable not to attract attention.

"So how was your day-"

But I couldn't get any further because someone grabbed my shoulder.