Chapter 14

LISA

Bored, I flipped through the Russian programs and wondered why I was doing this to myself at all, after all I would never understand it one way or the other.

Jennie was still in the bathroom and couldn't seem to get out of it. Besides, I heard perfect tones singing, which made me smile and laugh.

My stomach grumbled a little and I rolled in bed to get up, I turned off the TV.

Since we pretty much moved into an apartment, there was a small, modern kitchen in the annex. It had everything you needed and was matched in a white tone.

Luckily I found everyday things in the fridge like eggs, butter, water, spreads and sausage. I didn't have to think long, so I quickly chose the eggs and took them out of their packaging.

Scrambled eggs was probably one of my many favorites when it came to food. I didn't even know exactly why it was scrambled eggs, but the fact was, that it tasted good and I could never get enough of it.

I gently cracked each egg on the edge of the pan and let them flow into the center of the melted butter.

After seasoning it a bit, I stirred the slow-boiling eggs in the pan several times until they really became scrambled.

"What are you doing there?"

A little startled by the sudden voice, I almost dropped the small wooden spoon, but I managed it so that she didn't notice.

"What do you think? Food of course!"

Jennie looked skeptically at the sizzling eggs which made me gasp.

"What's your problem now? I can cook if you want to doubt something."

"I don't doubt it, I just wonder that such a spoiled girl shouldn't even know how to melt butter properly." I gasped in disgust.

"Sorry, I don't live up to your typical cliché about how to cook, at least shows me how shallow you are."

"Hey, it wasn't meant that way."

Jennie sighed and supported herself with both hands on the dining table a few meters away from the kitchen line.

"I think we both know what that meant. I don't even understand how you can be such an asshole."

Jennie rolled her eyes before looking back at me.

"I'm not an asshole."

"You act like one though."

"Just shut up, Lalisa..."

"No, I'm not going to shut up! You really wanted to know, why are you holding back now? Shouldn't you be tough as a bodyguard?"

"As a bodyguard, I shouldn't even bother with such children's stuff."

"Then I guess I'm wondering why you're even doing it."

"Definitely not because of you, that's for sure."

I groaned annoyed and turned back to my eggs, which were already quite overcooked.

"I never claimed in any way that I was the reason."

"You aren't."

"Don't overdo it, Jennie."

I took the scrambled eggs off the stove before turning and pulling out a plate.

"Nice that you made me something."

"You must be dreaming about that."

I dumped the contents of the pan onto the plate and grabbed another fork before taking it to the sofa, which I spotted looking around the apartment.

I left the television off and dealt with the slightly burnt food.

Jennie had followed me up to here and now looked longingly at the plate in front of me.

"Take your eyes off right away, make yourself anything or don't, but you won't get anything from my food."

Grumbling, she moves away from the sofa and disappears back into the bathroom. Slightly grinning, I turned my back to mine and enjoyed every piece.

After I was done, I put the dirty things in the dishwasher and went to the inviting bed.

The heavenly smell of fresh linens came up my nose and let me exhale pleasantly. I loved this scent without exaggerating. It made me feel comfortable in my surroundings.

After a few minutes I heard the bathroom door and a small whirring which turned out to be Jennie's voice.

Did she have to buzz something right now? I knew humming, humming something nice to yourself and then you fall asleep quickly, but buzzing?!

That's exactly what she did and unfortunately I didn't imagine it. She didn't seem to care much that I was already in bed and wanted to sleep, because she wasn't exactly quiet when she went to bed.

But this time I didn't want to be provoked by her again, this time I would ignore it and just go to sleep. Today everything was a little tiring and confusing when I thought back to how Jennie had reacted on the plane, she had been quite shocked and her eyes had radiated something strange that even I was afraid of, without any reason.

Was it even possible to feel the same fear through another person alone without having any clue to the real issue?

It all seemed quite strange to me in general, but somehow I had the feeling that not only that would be strange.

Without further ado, I turned my head away from the pillow towards Jennie's bed, which she lay on and looked at the ceiling. Since she had turned out the light a few minutes ago, I could only see the outlines of her figure through the moonlight that hit the room, but this was enough to see that she was still awake and seemed to be thinking.

What was she thinking about?

In general, I had often asked myself what it looked like in her head, even if we had known each other for a few days. Somehow she seemed different, but she definitely wasn't like some of the others I knew and I liked that, in the normal sense of course.

I sometimes wondered if Jennie's marital status was as normal as mine or if she lost someone, maybe adopted or has a lover. Although the last variant is not quite what I imagined, of course she looked good, but a lover with her job was unlikely...