Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Rhythm walked down the stairs, making it up to the kitchen. She glanced at Humza, who was sitting on the couch and having his coffee. Without looking at him, she made her coffee. What happened at the pool was still fresh in her mind.

Her coffee was still hot, she was down on it, making a point not to look at him. They were quietly enjoying their own company when Humza's phone rang. She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes when he stood up and walked out to take the call.

As he returned, his eyes moved to her and down to her clothes. She was wearing a peach-coloured T-shirt and black pants.

"We're going shopping." He announced,

She turned to him, confused but a bit surprised.

Why is he taking me shopping now?

Was Ignore-her-existence gone?

"I need to make a call," He pushed his chair out. "Drink your coffee and we'll leave."

Is he okay?

She thought.

She only went out twice that too not for her personal things and She didn't go anywhere other than that but as he announced he would take her shopping was a complete surprise to her.

She wanted to go out so badly, being alone in this huge mansion made her so damn lonely.

Her cup was empty before Humza even got out of his chair while folding his newspaper. It's weird that he reads an actual newspaper when the world is all digital.

It's so... Indian.

Afterwards, she changed her clothes and dressed in a dark green mini-dress, which reached just below her knees.

Humza opened the passenger side as if he was her valet, but she knew better. He's doing it so he has a hand in making sure she is under control, she wouldn't escape. He did it thrice now. This was a different car from which they went out last time, which made her wonder how many cars he owns.

"Buckle up," he said, hand draped over the top of the open door.

She reached for the safety belt, but couldn't find it. He untucked it from some fancy, hidden place and bent over her. The angle of his jaw was inches from her face and she has never smelled anything that could be so crisp and clean, yet so rugged and raw at the same time.

She could feel her breathing heavily as she had a shortage of air.

Snap.

She's in.

He stood up without turning to her, clapped the door closed and touched the hood as he came around as if making sure everything in the world is where it should be.

***

Humza floored it to the Infinite Mall. The car responded like a passionate lover, hugging curves with both appreciation and affection, leaving her with fingers gripping the armrest, panting like a sprinter. Even if she wanted to hold a conversation, she couldn't.

The call he had earlier must have pissed him off or something, she thought.

He pulled into an underground lot and stopped. The trip was over before it even began, and she found herself wishing for a long drive.

"My sweetheart enjoys fast cars," He smirked, shutting off the engine.

"I'm not your sweetheart, stop calling me that," She said, annoyed.

"There are rings and mangal sutra that says you're wrong, Sweetheart,"

"Well, I'm not wearing any of them right, so, I guess, they say nothing," She said.