Chapter 36

The doorway framed Humza's looming form in shadows. 

He belonged to the darkness, dispelling all morning light from the room. His head was bowed as he stared at the floor for so long that it unnerved Rhythm.

An alarm fired through her veins. She could listen to the frantic beat of her heart, to the warning drumming harder with each step she took closer to him.

She stopped, a tentacle of ice wrapping around her at the sight.

Even in the faint lighting, She could make out the blood covering his suit. His white tux shirt is soaked in dark-red, his skin spattered with the violent evidence of his brutality. His chest rose with his rapid breaths, his hands fisted at his sides. There's a tear in his sleeve. His hair, which is usually kept moist, is dishevelled.

This was the second time he appeared soaked in blood in front of her.

Where's Akeem?

She can only assume his boss sent him away. But how in the hell could Akeem leave Humza in this condition? Then a startling, terrifying realization hit that this isn't unusual for the boss of the Blood Demons Syndicate.

The Gunnar.

She stood before him like prey before predator, a hollow scream flaring inside her chest. "Humza?"

A low growl resonated through the room and rose above the subdued classical music. It vibrated against her skin. She took a step backwards, and that small movement triggered his notice.

The darkness of his eyes locked on her.

A prickling sensation webbed over her skin, and the hair on her nape lifted away. Breath bated, She took another tiny backward step, and it happened so fast.

He pounced from the doorway and had her throat clutched in his large hand.

Panic fisted her lungs. She gasped at air and clawed at his hand, her nails tearing into his skin as he backed her toward the wall. Her back flattened against the hard surface, her eyes trained on the beautiful face of the devil, all fury and damnation.

As his fingers sealed tighter around her windpipe, She kicked at the wall, at his shins, then reached out and scratched at his arms and face. He's solid vengeance and wrath, her strikes uselessly hitting steel.

The room started to darken around the edges. Before she was pulled all the way under, some semblance of humanity bled into his eyes. His grasp around her throat loosened a fraction, but only enough to allow a clipped breath to tease her lungs before he dragged her away from the wall.

"Humza...Stop..."

He pulled her toward the desk and, after he swiped the contents off with a furious brush of his arm, thrust her back against the oak surface. Something feral and raw ignited in his eyes as he forced her down on the table, his hand still collared around her throat.

She swallowed hard against the fiery ache, the pressure unbearable. His heated gaze dragged down her body, scorching her skin beneath her clothes. A dark haze layered his features. He was not even here, his mind lost, trapped in some other realm of torture and pain.

Rhythm collected enough air to gulp in a full breath.

Relief rushed through her veins.

Humza's hand remained fixed on her throat, but his rigid gaze was hard on her body. She kept deathly still. Dried blood saturated his shirt, and his skin. He's a devil ripped right from the bowels of hell, a fallen angel so devotedly fixated on the body before him, as if it can save him from the flames reaching up to drag him back under.

He raised his free hand and reverently pressed the coarse pads of his fingers to her collarbone. His touch was fire and brimstone, and She trembled beneath the dominance of it. His fingertips travelled down the length of her chest, probing the curves of her breasts, her rib cage, and her stomach. He explored her body like she was a rare creature, some mythical goddess who had entranced him.

And he's furious about it.

The disturbing look in his darkened gaze could flay her skin from her bones. He was under a spell, and she was terrified to move or speak or even breathe for fear of breaking the trance and unleashing the murderous demon.

He fisted the waist of her leggings and, with a fierce and desperate act, ripped the tights down her hips and thighs. Cold air caressed her flesh as his fiery gaze dropped to her bare skin in a clash of fire and ice, lashing a violent tremor through her.

His palm landed on her thigh, and another tremble rocked her core. Rhythm closed her eyes against the unwanted swell of heat and the empty ache unfurling inside as he glided his hand up, feeling his way along her thigh. His fingers touch the elastic of her panty, and before she could brace for the invasive touch, he released a harsh curse and grasped her shirt.

The tear echoed around the room, The torn material fell aside to reveal her chest, covered only in a simple top. Then his hand continued its course, mapping her body with a slow and torturous exploration over every flared curve and bevelled dip.

As his perusal drifted toward her neck, his distant gaze captured her mouth. Every nerve ending fired with awareness as he dragged his teeth over his lip, a ravenous hunger surfacing in that blaze of his eyes.

Beneath her desire for preservation, something needy and yearning wars within her. An alarm raged in her mind, urging her to push him away. Run. Escape. Fight. But the more he touched her, his hands going from ruthless to yielding, pulling at the frayed threads of her sanity to unravel her, some other frantic and illicit emotion took hold.

She can feel his desire hard and pressed to her thigh, and liquid heat poured into her veins.

Rhythm's breathing ramped, unable to control the rise of her chest, and his hand dipped to the seam of her bra, his finger dragged under the strap, taking her with him to that dark place.

"Humza... stop,"

She tried to reach him, and this time, he blinked.

Author's Note:- 

Hey guys, I need 100 comments, 250 votes and 10 followers. 

Try to reach the target. 

Love you all. 

Take care.