Chapter I

July 31, 1986

Petunia's feet silently touched the floor as she slid out of bed, careful not to wake to husband as she slid her slippers on. She was going to do something that he should never know, or it wouldn't only be her nephew being struck by the enlarged man.
She crept from the bedroom and downstairs, making her steps light so as not to creek the steps. Rounding the landing, she unlocked and opened the cupboard. Looking upon the sleeping face of what was left of her sister, she let out a small sigh as she brushed his nest of hair away from a pained face.

The woman shook the boy gently, though she made sure it was strong enough to rouse him, "Wake up, Pet." Her voice whispered into the cupboard. Seeing him respond with a muffled whine caused her heart to ache as she pulled away.

A gentle pop sound from behind told Petunia she wasn't alone. "Harry is asleep. We'll let him for a little longer." She instructed the house elf, not looking behind her.

A gentle hum was the response she got as she leaned down and scooped the boy into her arms.

"The Lord and Lady will be happy to see him." Maisey said as she cooed at the sleeping child.

Neither liked the other, but the babe they each cared for was their common ground. For Petunia, he was all she had left of her sister. For the elf, he was her final master.

"We'll put him to bed and tell him tomorrow." The elf spoke softly as she took hold of the woman's sleepwear. Disappararing the trio away from Privet Drive, they would find themselves breaking the silence of night in Caithness, in the far north of the Scottish Highlands.

============================

Sitting at the head of a long table in the informal dining room, a young man was bleary-eyed and sipping on a strong cup of earl gray. Sitting to his left, a woman who saved him, his Aunt Petunia. Sitting on his right, well, laying coiled on the floor next to him, was a velvety green serpent, which he had just fed a beef cutlet.

As far as birthday mornings went, Harry was so far content with the simplicity of his. Today, being his fifteenth birthday, was as he liked it. Quiet, calm, and peaceful. Until it wasn't anymore.

Elf popping into the room, Maisey bowed lightly to him, "Master, the post has come." She said as she offered the morning edition of the Daily Prophet and a letter.

Yawning his thanks, Harry took the paper, handing it to his Aunt before looking at the letter. Seeing the seal of Gringotts, he got a little curious. "Why are the goblins sending me a letter?" He mused to himself as he opened it, his mind waking more as he read the missive.

Mr. Potter,

We at Gringotts ask for a meeting with you at your earliest convenience.
This letter will act as a portkey to Diagon Alley by saying the words 'Time is Gold'.