Chapter XIV

As January drifted by, Draco could be seen and overheard taking lessons from Harry. It was quickly made clear that he had taken Malfoy junior under his wing a month later, but that's then. Now, however, Pansy could be heard arguing loudly with Draco in the common room.

Draco was defending himself and his actions fiercely before remembering something Harry had told him, "They will say what they want about you, either to your face or behind your back. It's up to your actions and reactions that depend on which they do."

"Keep yourself collected. You are allowed three scenarios where you react or act. You react to an insult of name. React to action on your life. Most importantly, you act when a threat comes upon your family. You use every resource and power necessary to eliminate such a threat." Harry told him while they studied in the library. "We are in a time of war and we will surrender ourselves to damnation for our families."

"Is that a Black family way, or Potter?" Draco returned, curious about where the tradition came from.

Harry shook his head, "Since my grandfather Charlus and Uncle Arcturus freely shared the family grimoires, the Blacks and Potters have been one family."

This startled Draco, it was unheard of the share family magic with anyone outside your family. "What made them share their magic?"

"Grindelwald. Ask your mom about the story of how Gran laid into them both after the French waltz."

"Waltz?" Draco laughed.

Harry nodded, "From what granddad told me, he and Uncle were in the trenches and were attacked. Uncle was wearing an Unspeakable hood so no one saw him, but during a battle, they somehow started fighting together. They shielded and covered each other until Grindelwald himself targeted them. He hit Uncle in the back with a Black spell and granddad returned fire. Grindelwald was distracted because he thought he had killed Uncle and he didn't dodge the spell quickly enough. It cut open his face, but if he was a fraction of a second slower, it would've been his neck."

Draco swallowed thickly at the thought. "When did they share their magic?"

"When granddad brought Uncle to Potter Manor and called for Gran for the counter curse." Harry smiled and shook his head, "She also told me that they both had spent two years ignoring their affection for the other until that day. That was the day she decided to fight for her love of Charlus Potter."

"No matter what, you still would've become Lord Black because they did that," Draco told him. "Not even my father was allowed to learn the Black magic."

"Well, I'm going to need you in this upcoming war, Draco. No one other than Nymphie can learn our magic and she'll be on the front lines with the other Aurors. She's already studying the family magic, but over the summer you'll be tutored by your mother and myself."

"What do you mean?" He cocked his head slightly.

"Even though Narcissa is the youngest, she's the most controlled. She has studied the family magic for nearly all of her life. Bellatrix may rely on our more obscene spells, but your mother knows every spell by heart. We will be using a grimoire created specially for the Blacks, Potters, and anyone with their blood combination." Harry placed a dragon leather-bound book on the table. The House Crests of the Potter and Black families were presented boldly on the cover.

"They are both connected, holding spells from both families. There are also spells invented by Charlus and Arcturus. If either of us thinks of new spell theories or new rune circles, we can write them down and they will show in the other." Harry told him as he slid the book closer to Draco.

The cover and pages were worn from study and handling. The grimoire was several inches thick.

Draco looked at it in awe and nodded dumbly as he took the artifact. He would tend to carry it on his person nearly at all times, not wanting to risk someone touching it.