Chapter 4: Moving On

Y/N Pov. 

Lee: Hey, there, uh, Kenny.

Lee and I find Kenny working on his blue truck. He's leaned over and looking in it for some reason, but I don't know how trucks work. But so far I like Kenny, I think he's nice although we've just met him. 

Y/n: Hello, Kenny. 

Kenny keeps working on his truck as Lee starts talking to him. 

Lee: How's your son doing?

Kenny: Good, I think. Katjaa's got a sister up in Memphis; we were coming back from visiting her. We were in a gas station and some guy grabbed my boy. 

He leans up from his truck and looks at us. 

Kenny: I thought he was kidnapping him. I was on the fucker in about two seconds and... Christ. Just lucky I was there. We saw a lot of bodies before we stumbled upon Hershel's. But we're a tough family. Ain't nothing gonna faze us.

Y/n: I guess you've had your fair share of the monsters, too. 

Kenny: Yeah, that'd be about right. They were everywhere. I'm just glad we were able to get out when we did, otherwise I don't know what would've happened. 

Y/n: Well that's good. I know how scary they can be. 

Kenny: So you've had run-ins with them, too? 

I nod. 

Y/n: Yeah, it was before we met Lee. Our babysitter turned into one of them and we had to hide in her treehouse. We couldn't go back inside because that's where it was, so we scavenged the neighborhood for food and stuff. 

Kenny: That's pretty smart, Y/n. 

Lee: Yeah. 

Y/n: (Shrugs) Well, we had to survive somehow. It's a lot easier to avoid the monsters than fight them. 

Lee: (Nods) He's right about that. 

Kenny: No kidding. 

As we all talk, Lee looks at Kenny again, but this time asks him a different question. 

Lee: So what's your family's plan?

Kenny: Get back on down to Lauderdale and let this mess get sorted out. Government'll start handing out shots and the national guard'll do its thing. On the odd chance things got too bad, we could hop on my boat, I guess.

I look at Kenny, surprised to hear about his boat. 

Y/n: You've got a boat?

Kenny: I'm a commercial fisherman, catching mackerel, dolphin, whatever's biting and paying. Katjaa wouldn't be wild about it, but the boat's not that bad.

Y/n: I've never been on a boat before. 

Kenny: Well it takes some getting used to due to all the rocking, but after a while it's not so bad. 

Y/n: Hm. That's kind of cool. 

Seeing as Kenny probably wants to get back to his truck, Lee asks him if he needs help before we leave to talk to the others. It's always polite to ask just in case, at least that's what my mom said anyways. 

Lee: Need any help?

Kenny shakes his head.

Kenny: Nah, I think I got it. 

He looks at Lee. 

Kenny: Do you need any help?

Lee: What do you mean?