Season 4/Chapter 11: Leave or Stay

3rd Pov. 

Back in the dormroom, after they'd woken up and had been talking for awhile, AJ looks at them. 

AJ: You've killed a lot of people. Both of you have. 

Y/n: Yes. We have. What's your point? 

AJ: Did you kill your friend Lee because he was a monster?

Clem and Y/n share a pause upon hearing AJ, but they ask him about his question. 

Clementine: What brought that on?

AJ: Was it murder when you shot him

Clementine grips her hands, knowing that AJ didn't mean anything by it but even asking about it hurts. The memory. But Y/n reaches out his hand and grabs hers, she eases up and he looks at AJ for a moment without speaking. 

Y/n: AJ, what she did and what you did are different. She killed him because we loved him and death is much better than being a walker. What she did was an act of kindness. Something that takes an extreme amount of love for a person. 

AJ: How? He'd be dead.

Y/n: Because he'd have turned otherwise. We didn't want that for him. 

Clementine: (Whispers) He deserved better... 

Rubbing Clem's hand, Y/n kisses the top of her head and AJ looks at his guardians. 

AJ: I love you guys. 

Clementine: We love you, too. 

Y/n: (Nods) Yeah. 

They wrap their arms around AJ when suddenly they hear a knock at the door, and Tenn enters. The trio stare at him as he walks into the room, holding a firefighter toy in his hand. The one he had been playing with earlier. 

Tenn: Hey. Violet said to come get you for the funeral.

Clementine: Really? 

Y/n: I'm surprised to say the least... 

Tenn stands in place as he speaks about the past. About all the funerals he's been to. 

Tenn: We used to have them more. Then we stopped. It seems right, though. I brought you something.

He hands the firefighter toy to AJ. 

AJ: For me?

Tenn: I figured you'd be afraid, with everyone all upset. But you were brave last night. Like a firefighter.

AJ takes the toy. 

AJ: What're those?

Tennessee holds up a drawing of both Marlon and Brody. Of the stuff they'd talked about prior to their deaths. Places they wanted to go see one day after they got a car working or something like that. 

Tenn: Drawings for Marlon and Brody. It's of stuff they wanted and places they wanted to go. I'm going to put them on their graves.

AJ: They don't need them. They're dead. They're not gonna get that stuff.

Y/n sighs and Clem shakes her head. It's obvious that AJ has never truly understood things like this. Probably because they've never taught him about it. They also never taught him subtlety either, apparently.  

Y/n: AJ, you do it as an act of kindness and stuff. Like for remembrance. It's nice Tenn.

Clementine: Yeah, It's a sweet idea, Tenn. They'll look really nice on the graves.

Tenn: (Grins) Thank you. 

He turns to AJ before leaving. 

Tenn: Have fun with your firefighter, okay?