Chapter 30: Confrontation & A Plan

As the four sit together on the train, Carley, Lee, Clementine, and Y/n, Lee asks Clementine if she wants to talk while Carley looks pissed about something. Clem says she doesn't want to and Y/n looks concerned. 

Y/n: Are you okay, Clem? 

Clementine shrugs and Lee looks at her, thinking it's about the death of Duck. 

Lee: You understand what happened?

Clementine: Yes. 

Lee: Okay. 

Leaning closer to her now, Y/n looks at her while she stares off at the 

Y/n: What are you thinking about?

Clementine: What Chuck said.

Both Lee and Y/n pause, looking at Clementine as they're curious about what he said to her while they were gone. 

Lee: What'd Chuck say?

Clementine: That what happened to Duck would happen to me.

Surprised by this, both Lee and Y/n have a similar reaction, though their words are different. 

Y/n: What? 

Lee: The fuck? He did? 

Clementine looks at Lee. 

Clementine: Swear.

Lee: Sorry. 

Carley turns to her attention to Lee as she sits with them all. 

Carley: I heard what he said and told him to screw off; he went towards the front of the train. I was thinking you'd be the better person at handling it. 

Lee: (Nods) I'm gonna go talk some sense into him.

Clementine: Don't be mad.

Y/n shakes his head and Lee gets up, leaving towards the front of train where Chuck is currently residing. Meanwhile, Y/n scoots closer to Clementine and Carley. Still upset about what Chuck said, Y/n crosses his arms. 

Y/n: Man, screw Chuck. Why would he say that? 

Carley: (Sighs) He's been on his own for too long. Probably just lost his marbles. 

Y/n: Still wasn't cool. 

Clementine stares out at the scenery as the train passes, still thinking about what Chuck had said to her. And still sensing that Clem's sad, Y/n wraps his arm around her in a side hug. Even if it's just for a second, Clementine feels better. No words needing to be said, they sit in silence as the train carries on. 

Carley watches the two and feels a sense of pride in herself. They're growing up before her eyes and even if they aren't her kids, she's been playing the mother role. Looking out for them along with Lee. 

Carley: (Mind) No matter what happens, I won't let anything happen to these kids. That's a promise. 

Towards the front of the train now, Lee is exiting the cab as he walks up to Chuck who's leaning over the railing. Angered and annoyed, Lee confronts Chuck as he planned to from the very start.

Lee: Hey. 

Chuck turns to him. 

Chuck: How ya doing?

Lee: Say it to me, asshole, what you said to my girl.

Chuck: Excuse me, son?

Lee: Telling a little girl she's gonna die. You want to scare people? Scare me, motherfucker.

Chuck: Okey dokey. She's gonna die.

Lee: Son of a bitch. 

Chuck: How was that?