Chapter 25: The Tracks

Y/N Pov. 

Silence. I sit by Clementine as the RV moves along the road, the thought of Lilly still in my head after what just happened. We had to leave her behind as she became a detriment to the group, a danger. I sigh as I think to myself. 

Y/n: (Mind) Today has sucked so far. I would ask if it could get any worse, but it's more than likely possible. 

I lay back against the seat as Clem lays her head on my shoulder. Lee is standing as Kenny drives and Carley is sitting to my right where as Clem is to my left; the most noticeable thing I can feel is the silence. 

Clementine: Hey, Y/n. 

Y/n: Yeah? 

Clementine: Did we have to leave Lilly behind? Was it the right thing to do? 

Y/n: I'm not sure, everything was getting so heated and it all spiraled. Still though, she tried to kill Carley and I think she was losing it. Whatever marbles she had left. 

Clementine: I guess so. 

I feel a hand touch my shoulder and turn to find Carley looking at me. The stitches on her face look like they hurt as they're obviously still fresh. 

Y/n: Yeah? 

Carley: I just wanted to say thanks, y'know, for saving me out there. One second later and I would've been on my way out. 

Y/n: No problem. I couldn't just let her kill you. 

Carley: Still, thanks. 

She pats my head and after a moment I hear Katjaa call up Lee to the front. I'm not sure what she tells Lee, but it sounds important as it made him sound surprised. After a second, Lee sits down on the left of Clementine. He has a troubled look on his face. 

Lee: Duck is bitten. 

Carley, Clem, and I look at Lee, all of us surprised. 

Clementine: Huh? 

Y/n: What? 

Carley: Oh, my god

Lee looks at us and in a soft tone, tells us where it happened. 

Lee: He got bit by a walker trying to escape the motel.

I pause for a moment and sigh. Once again, just like with Doug, I wasn't able to save him. Lee looks at me. 

Lee: Are you alright? 

Y/n: I, uh, I don't feel good. 

I take my hat off and toss it onto the head of my guitar, but keep my necklace on. I can't help but feel a little responsible for what's to come later. I tried, but I guess I just wasn't quick enough this time. 

Y/n: (Mind) Just like last time, I guess. 

I notice Lee looks at Carley and spots the stitches on her cheek. He gets her attention by saying her name, asking a question a moment after. 

Lee: Are you alright, Carley? 

I see her grin at Lee. 

Carley: Yeah, I'm alright. A Plus to this is now I'll have a cool new scar to scare off potential bandits. 

Lee: Yeah, truly scary. 

Lee chuckles and for a moment, I feel the mood lighten, but it's gone almost as quickly as it showed up. Another moment passes and Lee looks at Clementine and I. 

Lee: I'm glad I have you guys. All of you. 

Clementine: Me, too. 

Carley: Feeling's mutual. 

Y/n: Yeah. 

Clementine: (Smiles) We heard you outside my treehouse that day and I thought about dropping a hammer on your head.

Carley and Lee look at us, a very clear expression of surprise on their faces. 

Lee: What? Why?

Clementine: In case you were up to no good. Before you there was this other guy. He was yelling and trying to get into my house. He wanted to take the TV and tried to break the glass door with a rock.

Y/n: But I set him on fire and he ran away. Not sure what happened to him after, but he never came back. 

Lee: The door was open.

Clementine: He was dumb.

Carley: Now he's crispy. 

Clementine giggles a little and soon I start to feel myself fall asleep before too long. 

...

(Railroad Crossing)

I wake up after a few hours later and wipe my eyes as I lean up. I look to my left and see Clem still asleep on my shoulder while Carley is awake along with Lee. Not wanting to wake up Clem, I stay as still as I can until Kenny calls back to us. 

Kenny: We got something up ahead.

Lee gets up and Clementine stretches out more as she lays her head in my lap like a pillow, still asleep. Lee goes up to the front of the RV, but he doesn't say anything as I hear Kenny towards the front again. 

Kenny: Damn it. Road's blocked. Now we gotta deal with this.

The RV pulls to a stop and I lean forward to look out the window. In front of us is a big railroad crossing with a train stopped in the middle of the tracks. Lee, Kenny, and Ben get out of the RV, but Carley stays behind with us. I decided it'd be best to wake up Clementine, so I gently shook her and she woke up. 

Y/n: Good morning. 

Clementine: (Yawn) Good morning. 

She lays up and it allows me to finally stand up as Carley does the same. Clementine, still tired, grabs my hand as she stands herself up. I grab my hat from my Guitar, putting it on my head, & then grabbing my guitar and strapping it to my back. 

Y/n: C'mon, lets go outside. The RV's a little stuffy. 

Clementine nods and we exit the RV with Carley following us. Clementine has her backpack on, and Katjaa holds Duck's hand as they both climb out of the RV as well. I grab my baseball bat as we leave, holding it in my right hand as we look around; the giant train in front of us being very obvious. 

Y/n: Whoa. I haven't seen a train in a forever. It's crazy how big these things are. I think it's safe to say whoever's in this wouldn't have a problem with walkers. 

Clementine: (Yawn) Yeah.