chapter 1

-november 6th 1983-

-3rd person pov-

in the darkness of the wheeler's basement sat five excited kids who were immersed in a game of dungeons and dragons. above the table, hung an artificial light that illuminated the table, it shone a fake orange colour.

surrounding the table were mike wheeler, the group's paladin, lucas sinclair the party's brave ranger. dustin henderson, the useful cleric, will byers the wise wizard and y/n wheeler, the party's warlock. also, the only girl of the group.

seeing as it was the 80s, at first glance any girl was suspected to be into makeup and dolls but not y/n wheeler. whenever her adoptive mother, karen wheeler, would buy her a new doll, she'd take it into mike's room and pretend it was Princess Leia as she played Star Wars with him. mike didn't mind having a sister like that, if anything he thought it was cool, it made her different and he'd much prefer a sister that likes the stuff he likes rather than the stuff he hates. but one thing he's never been able to get his head around is the fact that y/n is adopted. he's laid in bed for nights on end pondering the impossible question, 'why is y/n adopted?' he can't remember the day his parents took the girl in but apparently she was left somewhere dangerous before. but that story was for another day, today's story was all about the current campaign, which weeks of planning had been leading up to.

"something's coming.." spoke mike in a dark and ominous voice, "something hungry for blood."

light traces of fear radiated off
of each of the people in the room as they all leaned in closer, so transfixed in the game they didn't want to miss a single thing.

"a shadow grows on the wall behind you.." announces mike, "swallowing you in the darkness.. it's almost here."

"what is it?" will butted in, too curious to wait until mike had finished.

"what if it's the demogorgon?" asked a worried dustin, "oh jesus, we're so screwed if it's the demogorgon."

"it's not the demogorgon!" argued lucas.

"an army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" mike says as he slams a figure onto the game board.

"troglodytes?!" y/n sniggered as she raised her hands above her head.

"told ya!" lucas smugly said to dustin, before the room burst into a fit of giggles.

"wait a minute.." mike spoke quietly causing them all to lean in closer again, "did you hear that? that.. that sound.." mike carefully narrated, "boom.. boom.. BOOM!!" he slammed his palms onto the table causing the party to all jump in shock.

"that didn't come from the troglodytes.. no, that.." mike continued, "that came from something else."

the gang all shared a nervous glance between eachother in mike's pause.

"The Demogorgon!" Mike bellowed as he crashed the demogorgon figure onto the table.

the party erupted into groans and sighs as mike left the figure on the board.

"we're in deep shit!" exclaimed dustin.

"for christ's sake!!" sighed y/n as she rolled her head back in defeat.

"will! your action?" asked Mike to the small boy that sat opposite him.

"I don't know!" Will anxiously replied in a panic.

"Fireball him!" demanded Lucas.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!" Will reminded him.

"Too risky, cast protection!" Dustin told him.