chapter 27

-october 30th 1984-

-353 days without eleven-

-reader's pov-

the tip of my pencil tapped rapidly against the solid surface of the wooden desk that I sat behind. I
half-listened in on mr clarke's lesson whilst the other half of my mind was focused on eleven's whereabouts, as per usual.

"meet the human brain." mr clarke slamming the model brain onto his desk was what snapped my full attention to him, "I know, I know it doesn't look like much, a little gross even, right? but consider this, there are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution, all working as one."

the boys all shared an astonished look before turning back to face mr clarke.

"no, no I did not misspeak. I did not stutter, a hundred billion!" he started again but only to be met with the pop of someone's bubble gum at the end of his statement.

suddenly, the door burst open and a fiery looking redhead stormed into the room, followed by the principal.

"this must be our new student!" mr clarke exclaimed.

"indeed it is, all yours." replied the principal.

the girl tried her best to escape doomed embarrassment but was stopped by mr clarke, "all right, hold up. you don't get away that easy."

the girl paused in her tracks and evidently rolled her eyes.

"come on up, don't be shy." mr clarke continued whilst the girl turned and stood very awkwardly in front of the class, who were bored out of their minds.

"dustin, drumroll." spoke mr clarke and in an instant dustin closed his book and began to create a mini drumroll, "class, please welcome, all the way from sunny california, the latest passenger to join us on our curiosity voyage.. maxine!"

"it's max," she quietly mumbled.

"sorry?" mr clarke asked.

"nobody calls me maxine, it's max." she stated.

"madmax," whispered lucas to everyone in the party who all bore faces of realisation.

"well all aboard max," smiled mr clarke before the redhead made her way to the back of the class.

like total fools, all of the boys turned in their seats to look at the new girl with a quizzical expression. whilst I managed to steal a quick glance just by flicking my eyes to her for a second. that way I didn't look like it an idiot or get caught when she felt 4 pairs of eyes burning into her back.

————————————

"there's no way that's mad max." mike said to the group who we're currently stalking the poor girl from behind the metal fence.

"yeah, girls don't play vidoe games." will added.

"oi, whatcha say byers?" I quickly retorted.

"oh um, sorry except for you.." he apologised.

"and besides, even if they did you can't get 750000 points on dig dug." mike announced.

"well she obviously did." I replied.

"mhm, it all fits." lucas agreed, "her name is max as well."

"so what?" mike spat.

"-so, how many maxes do you know?" lucas asked.