chapter 91

-march 25th 1986-

-reader's pov-

"FIGHT!"

el had managed to refocus and she was now fighting vecna in her mind again. normally, this would've been great, no problem. but vecna hadn't been set on fire yet so it was actually shit.

I shrieked in pain as my head began to throb, I crawled away into the corner of the room. everyone pulled their eyes off el to look at me, all of them shocked and concerned.

"vecna.. he isn't burning yet." will realised, his eyes as big as saucers in pure fear.

it felt as if someone was flipping my brain inside out, I howled in pain. though the pain wasn't physical, a mental pain was still bad enough. it was like a killer migraine but worse, a million times worse. I screamed out whilst clenching my hands into fists, I then thumped my fists against the walls in anger and despair.

"y/n.. y/n.." mike rushed over to my side, he carefully rested a hand on my shoulder to assure me, "y/n, just keep on fighting, okay? they'll burn vecna soon, I promise." his voice was shaky, he couldn't bare to look at his sister in this awful state.

"el, el, y/n's hurting," will informed el who was still in the freezer tub, "vecna isn't burning yet."

"MIIIKE!!" I cried holding onto his arm tightly for support, "I'M GONNA DIE AREN'T I? I- I'm gonna die.. I fucking knew it.. I'm about to die.." tears rolled down both mine and his' cheeks.

"y-you're not gonna die, n/n." he sobbed, though he didn't know if this was the truth or not, "I- I promise, you're gonna make it."

"I'm not mike, don't say that.." I trembled, blood now started to gargle from my mouth, "I'm dying.."

mike didn't know what to say, what could he say?? his own sister was dying in his arms and his boyfriend and other friends were watching in utter horror.

"thanks for being my brother, mike." I said, a crooked smile then cracked itself across my face, bearing my bloodied teeth.

mike choked on his tears, he was utterly speechless, his sister was saying her final goodbyes to him.

suddenly, life seemed to flash before my eyes. my first memory was being adopted by the wheelers, a pleasant memory. and then it went to meeting the guys for the first time, another sweet and nostalgic memory. it was where we first became friends and discovered d&d together. the next memory was meeting el, this one probably being my favourite. it then showed a not so nice flashback, it was eleven disappearing along with the demogorgon. I expected these flashbacks to go on for a little longer, but a flicker of something interrupted this train of memories.

a purple light suddenly appeared, it flickered like a candle flame in the wind. the bright purple light approached me as the memories faded away. it was just me and the purple light now.

"I'm not letting you both die," the familiar voice echoed, "not today."

the flame then darted forward, entering my body like a ghost before whooshing out the other side. but this flicker of light in the darkness had granted me a breath.

back in my real body, I took a huge gasp for air. my eyes shot open as I realised that this flicker of light was my flicker of hope in the darkness. eleven had saved my life.

I coughed out blood, the red substance spraying all over myself and the pale wall, decorating them with spatters of the sickening fluid.

"Y/N!" mike gasped, gripping onto me tighter in our shared hug, "YOU'RE ALIVE! OH MY GOD.. H-HOW?"

a loud noise suddenly came from the distance, I looked over to find el jolting up from her laying position on the table.

"please don't tell me y/n's dead too." she sobbed, cries racking her body. she gazed around the room shortly before her eyes fell to me. her saddened face cracked into a wide smile, she noticed how I was covered in blood but she was just so so so grateful that I had made it, I was alive. at least she had saved someone dear to her that night.

"y/n." she croaked, happy tears welling in her eyes before she sprinted over to me. mike quickly cleared out of the way and el then scooped me up into her arms.

she was practically cradling me like a baby. my eyes were heavy and tired but I still managed to gaze up at her and just smile. I was so thankful to be alive and back in my girlfriend's embrace. I honestly couldn't ask for anymore.

"you saved my life, eleven." I whispered out to her.

"you saved mine, too." she smiled, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. she then planted a soft kiss on my cheek before continuing to just hold me close again.

————————

-march 27th 1986-

the surfer boy pizza van sped down the familiar roads of hawkins. I noticed all of the cars packed full of people leaving the town. my eyebrows creased in confusion, why were they leaving?? but that's when I noticed the great clouds of a chalky-grey smoke polluting into the air.

"holy shit.." I cursed under my breath, completely dismayed.

- - - - -

helicopters circled the area as people bustled about, trying to gather up others and supplies in order to leave.

the high school was jam-packed with people donating things in boxes, I guess that was the help-area?

the vehicle then approached the centre of town, the library was totally demolished. smoke was clouded everywhere and the roads had crumbled to shit. great crowds of citizens and police officers were scattered around.

the town I had grew up in had turned to shit, it was like a living hell. I felt my heart sink as I looked through all of the windows, I couldn't believe my eyes.. everything was just.. destroyed.

yet people still flooded the churches, searching for any hope and answers in their time of distress.

I sighed a deep sigh as my eyes faltered over to el, she too was upset about the shitty state of the town.

"it's gonna be okay, alright?" I softly spoke out to her, she nodded lightly before slipping her hand into mine and I gave it a gentle squeeze.