chapter 38

-november 4th 1984-

-357 days without eleven-

-reader's pov-

my head was in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, searching for a strong acid that would wake will up.

"so, um.." max began from behind me, she was crafting with some sort of chair, "I get why you're the warlock now and why el was your mage."

"hm?" I hummed, not sure what she was really getting at.

"lucas, he told me all about her." max told me as a wide grin etched itself across my face, I was happy that someone was finally gonna talk to me about el.

"ah well, she's a lot cooler in person." I chuckled whilst reading the information on a bottle of bleach.

"well, I'm sure I'll get to meet her someday." max replied with a smile.

"wait, you actually think she's alive? I thought I was the only one-" I started but max cut me off by nodding confidently.

"oh yeah, for sure." she nodded, "she's definitely out there somewhere."

a surge of confidence welled within me, "thanks.. for believing."

"no problem." she finished with a grin before turning her attention back to taping the chair.

————————————

everyone was now placing and preparing things in the byers' shed. the walls were plastered with white bedsheets and pieces of cardboard.

I proudly handed the strongest bleach I could find to hopper, he inspected it carefully before dismissing me with a simple nod.

I then went around with staple gun, stapling any loose sheets and holding the stapler out as if it was a shotgun.

once the job was finally done, jonathan carried his younger brother across the yard before gently placing him on the seat. they tied him up against the post tightly before lucas flicked all of the extremely bright lights on.

will's head hung low and unconscious as I took my last looks at one of my best friends. I knew that will was in their somewhere, fighting this almost-impossible battle all by himself. I wished I could stay in here and help but everyone else and I agreed that it'd probably be a bad idea due to the shadow-monster wanting me on his 'side.'

a deep sigh escaped my lips before I slowly turned on my heels and trudged out of the shed and back to the house.

———————

the bright moonlight shone down onto dustin's face as he gazed out of the kitchen window, in the direction of the shed.

nancy was leant up against the wall, beside the telephone, completely lost in thought whilst steve practiced swinging his nailed bat.

lucas and max sat opposite eachother in the hall, immersed in a dull conversation about the negative side of this situation.

meanwhile, I perched up against the front window, in the living room. gazing up at the crescent-shaped moon and the shimmering stars that were dotted around it. lost in thought about how differently things might've enfolded if eleven was here.

but my reverie was soon broken by every light in the house starting to flicker like crazy. I leapt up from my seat and darted over to the kitchen table, where the others already were.

—————

a few minutes later, hopper, jonathan, mike and joyce piled into the room. hop grabbed a piece of paper and a pen before scribbling down lines and dots onto the paper, it looked a lot like morse code.