chapter 55

-july 3rd 1985-

-reader's pov-

the party sat in the wheeler basement, surrounded by old toys and a d&d table that had recently just been set up.

"I found him." el announced as she wore a blindfold, that had been provided by mike.

"where is he?" max questioned.

"woods." el blankly answered.

"woods?.." lucas repeated, confused.

"he's with.. will's mum." she then informed.

"hold up, what. will's mum? he could be doing anything with-" I started but mike interrupted.

"y/n." mike warned before turning to el, "what are they doing?"

"ill..annoy." el said, her words broken, "they're going to ill-annoy."

suddenly, a loud knocking noise came from upstairs, followed by karen's voice, "MIKE! Y/N! BREAKFAST!"

"NOT NOW, MUM!" mike called back up.

"illinois?.. like the state?" I inquired as el removed the blindfold.

"i-ill-annoy?" she stammered with a light shrug.

—————————

max, el and I were now in the basement's bathroom, cleaning up el's bloodied nose. I held the flannel under the tap for a moment before gently applying it to el's nose, where a small drip of blood trickled from.

"does it still hurt?" max asked as she stood at the side, referring to el's sore neck.

"only when I talk." she replied, her voice a little croaky.

"well, it's a good thing you're not mike, then." max joked, "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. and you'd be in constant pain." we all heartily chuckled at this comment.

until we could here the boys muttering and groaning about how girls hang about and spend too much time in bathrooms.

"do you guys realise we can hear every word you're saying, right?" max snapped, el and I both began to giggle at the boys' stupidity.

max huffed playfully before exiting the bathroom to go deal with the impatient boys, leaving just el and I.

"I could go see if there's any medicine for your throat.. if you like?" I kindly offered to el but she just loosely shook her head. I then nodded in understandment before placing the flannel down, but then as I lifted my head back up, two warm hands cupped my cheeks. and then the next thing I knew, el's soft lips were on mine. I rested my hands upon her hips as her hands crawled up to tangle within my hair. my lower back bumped into the rim of the sink as el and I's lips continued to passionately work on eachother.

but this moment was abruptly destroyed by mike who barged his way in, "guys! hurry up, nancy and jonathan are.." mike slowed his pace once he realised what was going on, "..here.." he quickly then slammed the door shut, returning to the others.

"THEY WERE MAKING OUT!" we heard him exclaim before making a fake vomit noise. el and I broke from the kiss before sharing an amused look with embarrassed but also starstruck expressions.

————————

"it was the same thing, the exact same thing that happened to will last year." nancy informed the group as she paced around, "and look at this," she grabbed a piece of paper with some form of information on it, "look at the body temperatures."

everyone leant forward to inspect the page, "he likes it cold." will recalled once he had read the low numbers.

"okay, so this crazy old woman who was eating fertiliser-" mike began but nancy cut in.

"mrs driscoll." she corrected.

"-right, yeah. mrs driscoll," mike continued, "what time was this attack?"

"-last night." nancy answered.

"right, but what time last night?" mike asked.

"uh- around nine." she replied.

"you waited all night to call?" jonathan remarked.

"I was waiting for the doctors to run some tests." nancy excused.

"you weren't there?" will pressed at jonathan.

"well, I'm here now, aren't I?" he shrugged.

"hallelujah." nancy sassed as she rolled her eyes.

"ooh," lucas breathed as I was struggling very hard to stifle the urge to giggle.

"um, so, wha- what time was your.. sauna test?" nancy inquired, trying to move the subject along.

"around nine." we all answered in unison.

"well, that proves it." nancy brightened up, "that proves my theory."

"she's flayed, just like billy." mike said.

"flayed?" a confused jonathan repeated.

"-the mindflayer. he flays people." mike explained, "takes over their mind. once they do that, they basically become him."

"-if there are two flayed-" lucas added.

"-we have to assume there are more." will finished.

"heather." el announced suddenly, "billy was doing something to her.. she was scared, she was screaming.. bad screams."

"what's a good scream?" lucas inquired with a concerned look.

"y/n showed me a cosmo and-" el began but I shoved a hand over her mouth to stop her from talking.

"doesn't matter." max uttered quickly.

"I'm sorry, I'm lost. who is heather?" nancy asked.

"-she's a lifeguard at the pool." max told her.

"-heather holloway?" nancy questioned and we all nodded.

"tom." jonathan and nancy said in sync as they shared a look of realisation.

—————————

all of us now marched over to nancy's car that was neatly parked on the driveway. nancy unlocked the door before climbing into the drivers seat, jonathan went in the passenger seat, max on the right of the second row, el on the left with me wedged in the middle, yet again. but at least it wasn't as bad as the trunk, where the boys were forced to go.

"seatbelts." nancy ordered and we all clicked them over us, except from the boys who weren't provided with any safety whatsoever.

nancy twisted the car keys and the engine roared to life, the rubber tires rolled backwards before the car collided with all of our parked bikes.

"dang it." I sighed under my breath as I watched my bike clash to the ground.

nancy slammed her foot down onto the accelerator and off the car went, down maple street and in the direction of the holloway's house. god, let's hope today's trip down there is better than the other day's.