chapter 71

-march 21st 1986-

-reader's pov-

the hellfire club sat around the large table, patiently waiting for eddie to begin, as he sat behind the dungeon master's rule book.

"the hooded cultists chant," he announced, his tone low and ominous, "hail lord vecna. hail lord vecna.. they turn to you." eddie motioned the action of pulling a hood down, "removed their hoods.. you recognise most of them from makbar. but there is one you do not recognise. his skin shrivelled, dedicated. and something else.."

a worrying fear began to loom over me as my brain searched for an answer, no.. it couldn't be?..

"he is not only missing his left arm.." eddie continued, and with this the fear in everyone's eyes grew, "but his left eye!" eddie stood up and covered his left eye. the whole group erupted into complaints and groans as many of us thudded our fists on the table in an act of anger.

"-vecna's dead!" jeff shouted out over the clamouring.

"-he was killed by kas!" mike added.

"so it was thought, my friend. so it was thought." eddie replied as he stalked back into his seat, "but vecna lives!" he then slammed the small figure onto the board.

- - - - -

"you are scared, you are tired, you are injured.." eddie narrated, "do you flee vecna and his cultists? or do you stand your ground and fight? come on."

"..I say we fight." dustin said, "to the death."

"-to the death." mike repeated.

"to the death! to the death! to the death!" we all repetitively chanted whilst slamming our palms against the table in a pattern.

eddie chuckled as he fell back down into his seat with dustin screaming, "to the deaaaath!" at the top of his lungs.

- - - - -

the dice clattered against the board as erica rolled the them, we all then cheered with the good hit that she had managed to roll.

- - - - -

the dice that mike had rolled tumbled upon the board and we all watched with wide, expectant eyes.

mike's roll was unfortunately very shitty and his character was defeated. eddie knocked his character down with the flick of his finger and we all huffed in annoyance.

- - - - -

jeff now took a roll, but ended up with the same disappointing fate as mike. we all cried out in an imaginative agony at this.

- - - - -

many successful rolls had been made until it was my turn. I shook the dice in my hands before letting go. the dice tossed from out of my hands and rattled against the board. the two dice traveled across the board before slowly coming to a stop. I needed a 15 or higher, but miserably I got an 11 and a 2, only adding up to 13. eddie pointed a finger and laughed as I covered my face with my hands in defeat, but then I got a bright idea.

as eddie went to kill my character off, I jerked my head and the die that read 2, now read 4.

"hey! hey! look, eddie! I'm not dead!" I exclaimed falsely. he peered down at the die and his eyebrows creased in confusion at the sight.

"did she move the die?" he turned around to look at the whole group.

everyone shrugged except mike, dustin and erica, they all wore smug smiles across their faces as they tried to stifle their giggles.