chapter 44

-june 28th 1985-

-reader's pov-

"then the loud sound did seem to fade~" david bowie's voice filled the cosy room, "came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase~"

I carefully turned the page of the
x-men comic that I was reading to el as her head rested upon my shoulder.

"that weren't no DJ, that was hazy cosmic jive~" the song smoothly continued to emit from el's radio.

"oh hold on, hold on!-" I suddenly exclaimed, "the good part's coming up!" I straightened my back before parting my lips to sing, "there's a starman waiting in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us but he thinks he'd blow our-" I was then abruptly stopped by el shoving her hand over my mouth.

"y/n, y/n stop!" she giggled whilst noticing the rising blush upon my cheeks.

"thought you loved bowie?" I asked with a smirk.

el playfully rolled her eyes, "true, but not when you're singing."

"what?!" I cried out, obviously faking it, "you don't like my singing?!-"

"no!" she laughed before cupping my cheeks and pulling me in for a kiss, our lips passionately worked on eachother's as the song continued.

after a short while we both pulled away and started to read the comic again.

meanwhile in the living room, hopper leaned back on his chair to look through the 3 inch gap. he grumbled in satisfaction when he saw that the two weren't making out. but then to be honest, he wouldn't really care if they were because that is what couples do after all. plus he didn't mind the wheeler girl, it was the wheeler boy he had a problem with. he wouldn't want his daughter dating anyone but y/n because he knew that she'd keep good care of her.

the comic was now fully-read so I closed it and let it fall to the floor.

"you enjoy that one?" I asked.

"of course! I enjoy all of them." she replied with a smile, hearts practically dancing in her eyes.

"good, cause it's all yours now." I grinned widely at the girl before she pulled me by the collars of my shirt into another kiss.

————————————

I pedalled fast on my bike down the roads of hawkins, heading for the mall as I spoke to el on my walkie.

"I could pop down to the movie store tomorrow and rent this movie I'm about to watch," I spoke into my walkie, "then maybe we could watch it or something?"

"yeah!" el's voice exclaimed through the radio, "what's it called?"

"day of the dead." I panted in response, "it's about zombies, I think. so make sure you don't get scared."

"oh, I won't!" el replied with a chuckle.

I was so lost in conversation with el I didn't notice the car speeding right towards me.

"oh shit!" I cried out whilst swerving out of the way in the nick of time.

"what's wrong?" el asked, her voice sounding concerned.

"oh, just nearly got hit by a car, that's all." I replied, trying to sound as casual as possible for a joke.

"pffft!" el laughed, "watch where you're going, okay? I'll see you tomorrow, if you even make it alive to the mall."

"oh ha ha, very funny." I sarcastically said, "but, I'll see you tomorrow, first thing. I love you, bye-bye now."

"but not as much as I love you." el replied, knowing she had beat me this time.

"dang, I wanted to say that!" I whined as a joke.

"you snooze, you loose!" el teased before the supercomm went silent, leaving me to cycle to the mall in silence with a wide smile etched across my face.

————————————

I slammed on the brakes before locking my bike up at the bike-rack.

"hey n/n." lucas and max greeted me in unison.

"hi guys, are mike and will here yet?" I replied.

"what do you think? of course they aren't." max typically sighed, "y'know, it's nice how some people can spend time with their girlfriend and their friends," she spoke, referring to me, "instead of snogging 24/7 like those boys."

"for real! like, those boys get to spend time together nevertheless!" lucas agreed.

"yeah, plus this could've been a triple date if it wasn't for the stupid rules." I added whilst we all looked over our shoulders to see mike and will cycling over, immersed in some flirtatious conversation.

"well, well, well.." max began, "look who finally decided to show up."

"jeez, we're sorry." mike fired back, "it's not my fault lucas and you can't keep a stable relationship."

"yeah! but it is your fault that we're gonna miss the opening!" max snapped.

"only if you keep whining about it." mike shot back with a sarcastic grin to which max rolled her eyes and we all flooded into the vibrant mall.

"only if you keep whining about it, nyeh- nyeh- nyeh." lucas mocked.

"just please stop talking, dude." mike groaned as will slipped his hand into mike's.

"let me guess," lucas continued, "you were busy?" he then proceeded to make sloppy kissing noises.

"real mature, lucas." mike sassed.

I then began to chuckle at the friendly argument that was enfolding before me.

"alright lucas, that's enough." max told him.

"y/n thinks it's funny!" lucas defended.

"because it is!" I laughed.

"yeah, so funny that I wanna spend romantic time with my boyfriend!" mike replied.

"you're doing that right now, aren't you?" I teasingly asked.

mike huffed in response before we all fought through the crowds of people that were trying to get down the escalators.

"hey! watch it!" some stranger complained as we all came crashing through the crowds, now on the bottom floor.

"yeah! watch it nerd!" erica, lucas' little sister harassed from her seat, where she was surrounded by her posse of friends.

"isn't it past your bedtime?" lucas fired back.

"isn't it time you died?" erica then spat back, causing all of her friends to burst into hysterics.

"psycho!" lucas called out.

"-butthead!" erica yelled back.

"-mall rat!" lucas shouted.

"-fart face!" erica cried out.

lucas blew a raspberry in response before max grabbed his arm and dragged him away, "oh, now that was mature."

we then all sprinted into scoops ahoy, my grin never failing to stop growing.

mike then repetitively rang the bell at the counter.

"hey dingus, your children are here." the female worker called out to the room behind the counter.

the glass windows were opened by steve, who wore a ridiculous sailor hat, just like the other worker.

"again? seriously?" he exclaimed, completely exasperated before mike rang the bell one more time.

——————

"come on, come on." steve ushered us as we all flooded down the narrow corridor, "I swear if anybody hears about this-"

"we're dead!" we all finished for him in unison.

"dumb kids." steve muttered before entering the scoops ahoy break room again.