chapter 49

-june 30th 1985-

-reader's pov-

"EL! IM HOME!" hopper's voice slurred loudly from the living room, he then slammed the door to el's room open.

"do you knock? jeez!" max exclaimed.

"yeah!" el and I added, "jeez!"

"oh, um- hey, y/n?.. max?.." hopper said, he definitely wasn't sober.

"we're going to have.. a sleepover? if that's okay?" el asked.

"yeah." hopper replied blindly, "yeah, yeah, yeah. your parents know about it?"

"yup.." both max and I nodded in response.

"uh, yeah- it's cool." hopper mumbled, "really- cool."

"did you need something?" max then questioned.

"no, no." hopper shook his head, "I-I'll leave. I'll just.." he then exited the room, closing the door behind him.

"and that's what happens when you have one too many beers." I commented.

——————————

"holy shit, I can't believe we're really doing this." max said as we set up the spin the bottle game, perched upon el's bed, "ready?"

"ready." el and I replied before el gave the coca-cola bottle a spin. the glass bottle span round and round until it slowly started to decrease in speed before stopping at my adoptive father's name.

"mr wheeler." max and el read out.

"pfft, not my pathetic dad, boring." I sneered.

"yeah, boring." el repeated with a smile on her face.

"spin again." max grinned.

"against the rules?" el then fretted as she reached out for the bottle.

"we make our own rules." max reminded, we all chuckled lightly before el span the bottle again.

"billy." we all read out, but then the recent events in the void replayed in my head.

"I dunno guys.. what if he's doing something.. weird?" I said, trying to avoid having to go look for billy.

"n/n, it'll be fine, if he is doing something weird with a girl-" max began but I interpreted.

"no. like.." a deep sigh slipped my lips, "u-um, there's something I need to tell you."

max and el shared a worried glance before turning to face me.

"what is it?" max asked.

"i-it's hard to tell.." I began, but el noticed my sudden change it demeanour, I had suddenly gone all serious. so she assuringly held my hand and gave it a light squeeze. I shot her a short but thankful smile before continuing, "when el and I went looking for the boys- I didn't find them. I was elsewhere."

"well, where were you then?" max inquired, curious of how this could link to her stepbrother.

"I was still in the void, just.. billy was there." I informed, a quizzical expression spread upon max's face, "he had all inky veins over him and- and it was like he was no longer himself. like how last year when the mindflayer took over will, billy seemed.. like that."

"are you sure that this was billy?" max questioned.

"I'm positive. it looked exactly like him except his eyes were almost.. lifeless." I told her.

"did he.. hurt you?" el then asked.

"no," I shook my head, "but last year, the mindflayer thing spoke to me a lot, and he told me that he had many forms. and I remember his voice, that same voice just spoke to me and it said, 'don't ever think I've forgotten about you, y/n.'"

"so.. you're saying billy's- the new host?" max quizzed, I nodded weakly in response.

"I could go see what he's up to?" el piped up.

"I don't want him hurting you, el." I told her before I gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"he can't hurt me, he doesn't want me." el reminded, "he wants you,
y/n."

I swallowed a lump in my throat before giving in, "fine, just.. be careful, okay?" she gave me a nod before reapplying the blindfold.

max turned the static on the radio and a few moments later, el's nose began to drip with red blood.

——————————

"I found him." el blankly said.

"what's he doing?" max asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"I don't know." el replied, "he's.. on the floor... talking to someone."

everything then went silent for a moment until el ripped the blindfold from her eyes and began gasping before air.

"what is it?" max inquired as I pulled a distressed el into my comforting embrace.

————————

-july 1st 1985-

the thunder rumbled in the cloudy sky above as max, el and I marched through town, towards max's house. the cold, breezy wind blew at our faces, it was one of those rare days in the summer where it just rained cats and dogs all day long.

before we left hop's cabin, el didn't forget to leave a note reading, 'gone to max's sleeping over- el.'

"it's gonna start pouring soon." max complained as we continued to walk, "we should be at the mall or like, watching a movie or something."

"you don't believe us?" el inquired.

"I believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally." max began, "but you said y/n has sensed you in the void before, right?.. so maybe it was just like that. maybe billy just.. sensed you somehow."

"-but the screams." el reminded.

"yeah, I know, but here's the thing," max started, "when billy is alone with a girl, they make, like, really crazy noises."

"-they scream?" el asked before I gave max a 'shut up right this second' look but she chose to ignore it.

"yeah, but like.. happy screams." max corrected.

"happy screams? what is happy screams? me and y/n don't scream when we're alone-" el began.

"okayyy, that's enough now." I chuckled awkwardly, trying to get rid of the embarrassing conversation.

"y'know what.. I'm just gonna lend you my mum's cosmo." max said.

"cosmo? what's a cosmo?-" el questioned, curious to find more out about this unknown topic.

I cleared my throat to try and silence the conversation, "doesn't matter, el, it's fine." and thank god we finally arrived at max's house.

"his cars not here.." max trailed off, "you really wanna do this?"

el nodded confidently but I was left with an unsure expression across my face as we trekked up to the front door.