chapter 3

-november 7th 1983-

-reader's pov-

the wheeler family were placed in their usual positions at the dinner table as they ate their chicken.

"we should be out there looking for him," mike spoke determinedly.

"we've been over this mike, chief says-" my mum was halfway through her sentence until mike cut in.

"I don't care what the chief says!" mike interrupted.

"Michael!" Scolded Karen.

"We have to do something. Will could be in danger!" Mike informed his parents as I nodded, showing that I agreed with him.

"more reason to stay put," argued Karen.

"mum!" both me and Mike whined.

"end of discussion." she said which silenced the room.

after a few quiet moments nancy spoke up, "so.. me and Barb are gonna study at her house tonight. that's cool, right?"

"No, not cool," Karen continued to eat her dinner.

"What?!" Exclaimed nancy, "why not?"

"Why do you think?" Answered Karen as if everyone was staring the answer right in the eye but they just remained completely oblivious to it, "am I speaking chinese in this house? until we know Will is okay no one leaves."

"This is such bullshit!" Nancy swore.

"Language!" scolded Ted dully.

"so we're under house arrest? just because mike and y/n's friend got lost on the way home from-" said Nancy until me and Mike intruded her speech.

"this isn't will's fault!" we said in unison like we were a pair of creepy identical twins, although we weren't.

"nancy. take that back." ordered Mrs wheeler.

"No!" nancy rebelled against her mother's orders.

"You're just pissed off 'cause you wanna hang out with Steve." Mike spoke truthfully.

"Yeah!" I added, knowing that was the real reason and I couldn't believe how blind my parents were being right now, as if Nancy would need to study for anything. she literally knows everything!

an awkward silence suddenly lingered about in the air.

"Steve?" Asked a hazy ted.

"Who's Steve?" Inquired Karen.

"Her new boyfriend," mike told our mum.

"yeah and he's a total douche," I added.

"pfft!" nancy dropped her fork onto her plate, it created a clattering noise, "you two are the only douches around here!"

"Language!" Ted repeated again, it seemed as if it was the only thing he could actually say.

nancy groaned as she left her seat and stormed up the stairs in a mood.

"Nancy, come back." Karen said to her daughter, but Nancy didn't listen she just angrily continued to stomp up the stairs.

"you see what happens kids," Ted looked at me and Mike as he continued to chew on his chicken.

"what happens when what?" mike yelled, "we're the only ones acting normal here! we're the only ones who care about Will!"

"That is really unfair, son. We care." Ted lazily popped another piece of chicken into his mouth.

mike didn't even answer him, he just slammed his hands on the table with a gaping mouth, which was open from the shock of what his father just said.

"cmon y/n," he tugged at my arm and pulled me from my seat, "I'm so done with this stupid household."