chapter 53

-july 2nd 1985-

-reader's pov-

unlike yesterday's treacherous conditions, a dense heat loomed the air as the sun shone brightly, almost blinding anyone who dared to look near it. the party, except for dustin, all watched carefully as billy sat upon the tall lifeguard's chair, wrapped up in towels and a sweatshirt. he slurped on an icee as his cap and sunglasses rested upon his head, this was very unusual.

"I don't know, he looks pretty normal to me." max commented with the binoculars held up to her eyes.

"normal?" lucas retorted, "how many times have you seen him with a shirt on?"

"I mean, it's a little weird." max said.

"more than a little, he was in a tub with ice." mike added, "the mindflayer likes it cold, plus, from what you've told me, billy got real pissed when
y/n tried teasing him with the whole, 'he likes it cold' thing."

"-but he's lounging at the pool!" max remarked, "which is like, the least mindflayer thing ever."

"not necessarily," will piped up, everyone swung their head to look at him, "the mindflayer likes to hide, he only used me when he needed me. it's like, you're dormant. and then when he needs you, you're activated."

"okay, so we just.." max began, "wait until he gets activated."

"no," mike disagreed, "what if he hurts someone?"

"-or kills someone." will added.

"we can't take that chance, we need to find out if he's the host." mike concluded before pulling himself off of the car that we were leaning on.

"-where are you going?" I called out.

"-I have an idea." he replied, "boys only."

"seriously?" max exclaimed.

"just trust me on this one." mike replied as the boys got up and jogged after him.

"boys only, my ass." I tutted playfully, "just cuz he doesn't like girls."

"true though." max snickered as el giggled quietly.

—————————

it was now late evening, basically nighttime. the sky was dark but a humid heat still lingered as the buzzing sound of insects chirping filled our surroundings.

one certain shower in the changing rooms was occupied. the spraying water sound wasn't very loud as billy stood in there, grunting angrily as the freezing cold water flushed over his body. once he'd had enough, he twisted the handle before grabbing his towel and storming to his locker.

he slipped a pair of denim jeans on until he stopped in his tracks at a clanging noise.

"pool's closed." he called out to the unknown person that he believed was there.

the clanging noise continued, along with a metallic scraping sound.

"hey." he shouted again, this time more aggressive, "do you hear me?" he slammed his locker shut before marching over to where the sound came from, "pool is closed!" he then thumped his palm at the door repeatedly, he realised that the door had been locked.

"billy!" mike's antagonising voice echoed.

"who's there?" billy spat, poison strong in his voice.

"billy!~" mike's sing-song like voice called out again.

"who's there?~" billy replied, also putting on a similar teasing voice, he got an echoey laughter in response and it enraged him.

"billy!" mike's voice laughed again, "billy!"

"you think this is funny, huh?" billy growled as he stalked through the changing rooms.

"billy, come and find me!" mike teased.

"I find you, it's your funeral." billy threatened.

"come and get me come on!" billy's eyes fell upon a door. the door was moving, meaning someone had just entered this room. he smirked widely at this, knowing he was on the tail of his prey.

mike continued to call out to billy in an annoying voice, just like how billy continued to storm through the locker rooms, in search of this person, who still remained anonymous to him.

"got you." billy said smugly as he stared at the human-like figure in the sauna room. he cackled and clapped his hands as he made his way over.

"come and get me, you piece of shit." mike's voice spat through the walkie that was tied around the dummy. the dummy that was now midair, in a chokehold due to billy hargrove's unexplainable aggressiveness.

"hey. behind you." mike's voice said before billy swung around to see el bravely standing there.

"hi." she plainly said before jerking her head, making billy jolt backwards and smash into the marble tiles.

"now!" mike announced as billy grunted in pain on the floor. I flicked my head and the sauna door slammed shut. mike and will drove a metal pole through the handle before chaining it up.

we all ran to the centre of the room, el and I stood closest to the front, holding a protective stance over the group. billy still pounded his strong fists at the door whilst letting out yells and groans. the door's chains rattled with each thud, but billy alone couldn't break the metal, could he?..

he looked max dead-in-the-eye before spitting her name out, "max."

"do it." max confidently announced, will ran straight over to the temperature controller and cranked the heat all the way up to as hot as possible.

"MAX! LET ME OUT OF HERE!" billy demanded as he felt the heat travel up his body, he knew that he'd be in control soon, "you kids.. you think this is funny? you kids think this is some kinda sick prank, huh?" he spat saliva at the glass, "you little shits think this is funny?!.. what is this? open the door." his hot breath blew onto the glass causing it to steam up, "OPEN THE DOOR!" his sudden change in volume made us all flinch, "OPEN THE GODAMN DOOR!" he then fell to the floor and began to scream.

will jogged over to the temperature controller, "we're at 220." he then quickly made his way back over to stand by mike.

a sobbing noise then came from the sauna room, "it's not my fault.. it's not my fault, max. I promise you, it's not my fault.." billy trembled as max cautiously made her way to the door.

"what's not your fault, billy?" she asked.

"I've done things, max.. really bad things." billy positioned his hands in a praying position as he begged out to max, "I didn't mean to.. he made me do it."

"who made you do it?.." max wearily replied.

"I don't know, it's like a shadow." billy cried, "a giant shadow.." everyone else shared a familiar look between one another, "please max.. it's not my fault, okay? max, please. it's not my fault, please believe me. I tried to stop him, okay? I did." max began to tremble and tears welled in her eyes, "please believe me.."

"billy, it's gonna be okay." max assured, though she knew that it wasn't the truth at all, "we want to help you." billy picked up a sharp shard of tile, "you just have to talk to us, okay? I believe you billy."

"I-I feel him.." will shuddered as his hand raised to the back of his neck, "-he's activated."

"max, get away from the door." mike uttered with wide eyes.

"-what?" max questioned.

"GET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!"