chapter 78

-march 23rd 1986-

-reader's pov-

the chilling metal handcuffs clicked around my wrists with a very quiet noise. the two cops listed out the whole 'right to remain silent' thing as my thoughts wondered away, I was being arrested right now, holy shit.

mike, will and jonathan stood there watching, all of them completely astonished. their adopted sisters were being taken away by the police and for what??

I didn't even resist as the officer led me to the car, he trailed me along behind el. many of the kids in the neighbourhood had gathered to watch with their beady, curious eyes and skateboards.

"can you please just tell us where you're taking them?" jonathan ordered, jogging along after the cops.

"yeah cmon, are the cuffs really necessary?" mike asked, pointing down to the handcuffs that were tightly secured around our wrists, "officers, answer me."

I watched as el was pushed down into the backseats of the car, the officer that was handling me, took me to the other side and shoved me in. the doors slammed shut, the loud sound caused me to snap out of my reverie.

"el? y/n? listen to us." mike pounded his fists at the window, will stood beside him, looking as equally concerned as mike did.

"everything's gonna be fine, alright? we're both going to fix this." mike told us, shooting a glance to will, who nodded.

"we promise. it's gonna be okay." will added, his eyebrows creased with worry.

the sirens then began to wail and the engine roared to life, the car started up and went travelling down the street. but why were the sirens on?? it's not like we had just came from the crime scene, we were two teenage girls for christ's sake.

I looked over to el, she seemed heartbroken, tears streamed down her cheeks and I would do anything, absolutely anything to reach my hand over and comfort her right now. but I couldn't, I just couldn't because of these stupid fucking handcuffs.

———————

"stop denying it, ms wheeler." another cop sternly said, "we have it on video, tell us what you did to the girl."

"I didn't do anything!" I snapped, "I didn't even touch her!"

"then what did happen?" the cop pressed.

"I don't know, she just went.. um, maybe she's a spaz?" I shrugged.

the cops looked at me, dead in the eye, they were obviously very unimpressed with me. "tell us what you did."

"I didn't do anything, how many times?!" I was growing very impatient, "how could I have done anything? I didn't even touch her, she literally punched me in the face! she should be here!"

"ms wheeler, you need to calm down." one of the cops eased.

"no! don't even!" I spat back, "you don't get it, my parents are literally gonna disown me if they find out! I'm adopted so it's even more likely!"

one of the cops huffed, he seemed exhausted, "okay well, apparently you cheered when ms hopper attacked angela. is this correct?"

"yeah- and?" I fired back.

the cop sighed before jotting my answer down onto a notebook of paper, "why did you cheer?"

"because el- jane," I corrected myself, "jane was just standing up for herself, angela has been bullying her for ages."

"so you think that angela deserved her grade two concussion?" the other cop inquired.

"no, she deserved more than that." I mumbled quietly to myself whilst looking down to the blank flooring.

"what was that?" the cop raised his left eyebrow as he leant closer over the table.

"nothing." I replied, pursing my lips as I dragged my eyes up from the floor to look at the officers again.

they snorted before speaking up again, "the video footage has been sent to a team of.. specialists, so they are to decide what happened."

"what do you mean, specialists?" I asked, worries suddenly clouding my mind.

- - - - -

I held my mugshot letter board up over my chest whilst trying to pull the most funny face they would allow.

"OI! STOP IT WITH THAT FACE!" one of the cop's shouted, I immediately dropped the look and a picture was snapped of me. the camera flashing caused me to squint before the officers got all of my angles.

- - - - -

my thumb was directed by another cop and he pressed my thumb onto the black ink. he then smudged my inky thumb onto a sheet of paper, it had left the unique mark of my thumbprint.

- - - - -

and now, the two cops that interrogated me led me to a police van. they shoved me inside and I grunted as I hit the floor, the very next second the double doors were slammed shut and I was left in a dim light.

"the fuck?" I breathed, thinking I was the only one in the back of the vehicle but then I felt two warm arms engulf me in a hug.

"oh my god, y/n!" el cried out, pulling out of the hug slightly to inspect my face, "are you okay?"

"yeah, yeah I'm fine," I replied, so very glad to be with her, "but I don't think those cops are, they really just put us in the same van. actual idiots, honestly."

el chuckled, her head tilting slightly like a confused dog's, "you really know how to find the good in every situation, don't you?"

"well, I do try." I shrugged before getting up off the floor and brushing my knees.

the van was already driving down the roads and I noticed will, mike and jonathan just stood there, in the middle of the open, dusty road. they were watching us drive away.

"they're literally gonna get hit just standing there like that." I pointed out, I could feel el nod in agreement as her head gently rested upon my shoulder.

"stupid boys." I heard her mutter, I burst out laughing at this. was el starting to pick things up from my constant commentary of shitty humour? I sure hope she was.