chapter 48

-june 30th 1985-

-reader's pov-

"one strawberry, one vanilla with sprinkles and one y/i/c, please." max politely said to steve, who was yet again wearing his ridiculous sailor hat at his ridiculous ice cream parlour job.

"alright, coming right up." he sighed before going to scoop the ice creams.

el then turned to give me a soft peck on the cheek, my cheeks flashed red before el began to giggle. but what we didn't realise was that steve's female coworker had been watching the whole time because she'd recently slammed the mini-doors behind the counter open.

el and I's eyes widened in shock, so much that they practically looked like saucepans. reassuringly, I slipped my hand into hers as we awaited the other worker's response, and that's if she even had one.

the worker just shot us a sweet smile, it was as if she.. understood??.. wait?-

she then turned to steve before announcing something proudly, "we've got our first sentence."

"oh, seriously?" he replied, trying to handle 3 ice creams at once.

"yeah." the coworker said before putting on a russian accent, "the week is long."

"well, that's thrilling." steve said sarcastically.

"I know, but, progress!" she grinned before closing the mini-doors.

"oh, um, okay.. you got a strawberry, vanilla with sprinkles and a y/i/c." steve handed us the ice creams.

"thanks." we replied in unison.

"wait a second.." steve pulled a quizzical face, "are you even allowed to be here?"

us girls shared the same look before breaking out into a fit of giggles and running out of the store.

——————————

we left the mall, ice creams in hand, marching in the direction of the bus stop.

"three person trade?" max offered, el and I strongly nodded in response before swapping our ice creams around. el took mine, max took el's and I took max's. we chuckled happily as we passed eachother the snacks until we paused at the sound of a group of familiar voices.

"lucas, just stop worrying. you're still with max. sure you've broken up, like, six times but you're currently together." I heard my brother's voice say.

"oh, you've gotta be shitting me." max groaned as we turned to face the bike-rack, we then began to march over.

"isn't this a nice surprise, hm? so much so for the 'girls day out without those stupid boys.'" max snapped.

"hold on, what?" mike replied, "it's not my fault you girls just wondered off today and now we bump into you at the mall?!"

"wondered off?" el retorted, "no, we just wanted a break from you idiots."

"jeez, someone's cranky." mike spat.

"whatcha say, michael?" I spoke up as I took a threatening step towards my brother.

"nothing." he muttered whilst rolling his eyes.

"come on mike, let's just go.." will said quietly as he tugged at mike's hand. he could sense the tension and didn't want it to increase, because he knew that'd only make the party fall apart.

"alright, let's go then." mike eased his tone as he spoke to will.

"oh! um, just one more thing, max." lucas began, "can you just clarify that we are still together?"