chapter 30

-november 1st 1984-

-355 days without eleven-

-reader's pov-

"the case of phineas gage." mr clarke's voice rang through my head, gnawing at my extremely painful headache, "is one of the greatest medical curiosities of all time, phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident." he continued, "a large iron rod was driven completely through his head."

god, I thought, that's how I feel with this headache..

mr clarke drew a line across the projected skull with a black marker.

"phineas miraculously survived," mr clarke recalled, "he seemed fine and physically, yes, he was. but his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality, so much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'no longer gage' at the time this was known as the american crowbar case, although it wasn't a-"

my dozy attention was quickly pulled to the classroom door which was slammed open by a panting dustin.

"I am so sorry mr clarke-" he panted whilst making his way to his seat, "really, I am so sorry. please continue with the class, don't mind me."

the boys and I all wore dazed faces as we watched him cause a huge scene in the middle of class.

"although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said." informed mr clarke.

dustin then leaned across his desk to talk to us, "we have to meet," he whispered, "all of us, at lunch, AV club."

"why?" mike whispered back.

"I have something that you won't believe!" dustin quietly exclaimed.

"hope it's a cure to my headache," I muttered quietly before leaning back into my seat.

"AV club. lunch." dustin then mouthed to max who sat at the back of the room but mr clarke caught him.

"dustin!" mr clarke scolded.

"yes my lord?" replied dustin politely.

"would you care to join the class now?" mr clarke pressed.

"please, yes." dustin answered.

"-the case of phineas gage." mr clarke sternly told him.

"phineas gage." repeated dustin whilst pulling his textbook out.

"page 104." mr clarke informed.

"104..104.." dustin skimmed through the pages until he found the correct one, mr clarke was then finally able to continue properly.

————————————

we all peeked to look into dustin's replica of a ghostbusters trap. the doors mechanically opened revealing a small, slimy-looking green slug thing.

"his name is d'artagnan." dustin grinned.

"he looks like a lump of frog shit." I truthfully retorted.

dustin gave me a pissed look before reaching his hands into the container and picking up the grotesque creature.

"cute, right?" he asked.

"erm." I simply said in response, unsure of how to word my answer.

"d'artagnan?" mike repeated.

"dart for short." dustin informed.

"and he was in your trash?" asked max.

"foraging for food." dustin responded, "you wanna hold him?"

"no, no!" she answered without hesitation.

"he doesn't bite!-" dustin assured whilst slipping the animal into the palms of max's hands.

"eugh!" she groaned, "it's slimy!" she then ushered the unknown creature into lucas' hands.

"ugh! he's like a living booger," he commented before passing it to will who also cringed in disgust before handing it to me.

"fucking minging!" I snapped whilst watching the creature slip and crawl about in my hands before I quickly gave it to mike.

he held it up close to his face and inspected it with curiosity, "what is he?" he then asked.

"my question exactly." dustin responded.

—————————————

dustin slammed a pile of books onto the table, "at first, I thought it was some type of pollywog."

"pollywog?" max repeated, unsure of the unfamiliar word.

"it's another word for tadpole,"answered dustin, "a tadpole is the larval stage of a toad-"

"I know what a tadpole is." she sassily interrupted.

"alright, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right?" he began, "well, dart, he isn't. he doesn't need water."

"yeah, but aren't there non-aquatic pollywogs?" lucas asked.

"terrestrial pollywogs? yep, two to be exact," dustin replied whilst flipping the pages of the book to a certain page, "indirana semipalmata," he read, "and the adenomera andreae. one's from india, one's from south america.
so how did one end up in my trash?"

"maybe some scientists brought it here and it escaped?" max offered.

"do you guys see that?" will suddenly asked before pointing at the wriggling creature.

"..looks like something is moving inside of it.." mike spoke whilst we all noticed that something was shifting about inside of the creature. he then reached for the lamp and shone it on the animal, it immediately hissed and made a run for the edge of the table.

dustin was quick to catch it, "whoa!" he exclaimed before cooing at the animal, "it's okay, it's okay.. I got you little guy, I know you don't like that."

everyone else remained giving dustin a quizzical expression as he babied the weird creature.

"oh yeah, and there's another thing.." dustin started, "reptiles, they're
cold-blooded, ectothermic, right? they love heat, the sun. dart hates it, it hurts him."

"well, that thing's a bloody gremlin then, not exposing it to sunlight and all that crap." I commented.

"gremlins are fictional, y/n." dustin rolled his eyes, "I have discovered a new species."

"call it gremlin species and name that one gizmo." I teased again.

"shut up n/n!" dustin playfully scolded before the bell rang and we all headed to the door.

"we gotta show him to mr clarke," lucas said whilst we exited the room.

"no! what if he steals my discovery?" pestered dustin.

"he's not gonna steal your discovery." mike assured.

"y'know, I'm thinking about calling it dustonious pollywogus." he proudly announced, "what do you think?"

"I think your an idiot." max sourly chuckled which caused dustin's smile to fade instantly.

"you know, when I become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back to me saying," he then put on a stereotypical 'girl' voice, "oh my god, dustin, I'm so sorry for being mean to you back in 8th grade, oh my god."

"hm, by the way dustin," I began, "I'm gonna feed dart after midnight and see if he goes batshit."

"no! you will not be doing that!" he snapped before everyone broke out into a chuckling fit and entered the next classroom.