chapter 23

-november 12th 1983-

-reader's pov-

"they found us." I panted out to the boys, who were all enjoying their chocolate pudding.

"shit, we gotta go." dustin groaned as we all sprinted towards the cafeteria doors.

"how did they find us?" lucas asked whilst we all ran down a small set of stairs.

"I don't know but they knew we were in the gym!" I answered in a hurry before making sure el was able to keep up with us. suddenly, two soldiers burst through our only exit.

"go! go! go!" mike yelled as I gripped el's hand tighter and took lead of the group. we rushed in and out of classrooms and corridors but then to only be met with more soldiers.

we all skidded to a stop when a woman held out a loaded gun, she was aiming it right at us, just like all the other bad men.

el then positioned her head so she could glare up at the woman and soldiers who stood before us. the air surrounding us grew thick and heavy as squelching noises emitted from the people. streams of blood started to pour from their eyes until they all dropped dead with an uncomfortable crunching sound. eleven then collapsed to the ground with a thud.

"el!" I exclaimed before kneeling to her side, "are you okay?" I noticed how her body was colder than usual and extremely limp, "something's wrong."

"she's just drained n/n." dustin assured.

"no, no.. she won't wake up!" I responded as I desperately continued to try and wake her up by shaking her shoulders, "EL!"

ominous footsteps began to echo through the halls as my concerns and worries only intensified.

"leave her!" a stern voice that sent shivers down my spine warned. I swung my head to look at the source of the voice. it was the same
white-haired man from the bike chase, dr martin brenner. he looked me dead in the eye as I stared back up at him, anger boiled within me as I knew this was the very man who could and would take eleven away, "013." his icy voice spat.

the boys and I regained our footing, not taking one eye off the shadowy man, "step away from the girls." he ordered, directing the demand at the boys.

"no! you want them? you'll have to kill us first!" mike spat.

"that's right!" dustin added.

"eat shit!" lucas yelled but then three large soldiers grabbed ahold of them from behind.

"LET THEM GO!" I roared at brenner whilst they restrained against the soldiers' grip.

"I cannot do that, 013." he replied, his voice laced with poisonous venom. he then began to approach me, he took eerie steps as he got closer and closer.

"I SAID LET THEM GO!" I shouted and with the flick of my head brenner was sent flying into the brick wall with a crash. the bricks were dented as he stood up again, pain visible on his wrinkled face.

"remarkable." he said through the pain as he watched me grow tired from using my powers in one large burst of energy.

my eyebrows furrowed in anger as I continued to stare him down, "don't touch her.." I stated, "take me instead."

"y/n.. no.." el whimpered as she started to regain consciousness after hearing me say I'd sacrifice my freedom for her own.

the lights then began to flicker like batshit crazy, all heads turned towards the wall in which brenner only just very recently went crashing into, a low grumbling noise came from it.

"blood." mike spoke from his struggling position in the large man's arms.

"what?" lucas replied, he too in the same situation as mike and dustin.

"blood." mike repeated, fear was strongly detectable in his voice.

the dented wall began to crumble and the bricks smashed into the tiled floor. an almost humanoid figure burst through the breaking wall.

"demogorgon." dustin breathed and not even a second later the creature smashed it's way through the wall. it's face opened as it let out a deep roar, it's head was in the shape of a red, five-petaled flower. spit and slobber sprayed everywhere as the beast continued to roar, it bared it's sharp, flesh-tearing teeth. the soldiers let go off the boys and instead held their firearms out and shot bullets at the monster. I instantly dropped down to el's side, along with the boys and they helped me raise el into my arms before I lifted her down the hallways.

I took a quick glance back to see the demogorgon leap onto brenner and claw away at his face.

"Y/N COME ON!" mike yelled, tearing my attention from brenner and back to the corridors ahead.

mike slammed the door to mr clarke's room open before we all flooded in. I stumbled to the back of the classroom in a rush before carefully placing el's body onto a large table. I held my hand in her's as I assuringly spoke out to her.

"you've done so well.." I trembled, thankful to be in the refuge of mr clarke's classroom, "just hold on a little longer.. okay? he's gone.. the bad man is gone. we'll be home soon.. and- and my mum.. she'll get you your own bed and you can eat as many eggos as you want."

a weak chuckle escaped el's lips at this news before I continued, "and- we can go to the snowball.. we'll dance all night long.. no matter what people think."

"promise?" el sniffled.

"promise." I repeated, my voice as confident as possible.

el's lips curled up into a smile as she rubbed her thumb upon the back of my shaky hand. but then a loud growl from the demogorgon demolished this moment. all eyes were pulled to look at the door as the gunfire stopped.

"i-is it dead?" dustin stuttered.

suddenly, the door was knocked down and the demogorgon came tumbling into the room.

"GET THE WRISTROCKET NOW!" mike screamed as the demogorgon let out another deafening roar.

"SHOOT IT!" dustin screeched as lucas pulled back on the slingshot and began to shoot weak, pathetic rocks at our demon-like rival.

I knew I had to do at least something with my advantage so I raised my arm and started to make the demogorgon levitate a couple feet in the air. the beast's bones crunched as I balled my hand into a fist but then I was swept aside by an invisible force. eleven slowly marched past my fallen body as the demogorgon was sent flinging across the room and crashing right into the chalkboard. she kept on walking closer and closer to the creature with her arm held out before her.

"eleven! no!" I called out to her but I was too weak to lift myself from my position against the counters at the back of the room. the monster struggled against el's strong power, she now stood right before the beast. fear was undetectable in her eyes, she turned back to look at me with now sorry eyes.

"goodbye y/n." she spoke her last words, tears spilled from my eyes as I was forced to watch eleven fight her final battle. black veins spread across her face like a spiders web, a long shrill scream erupted from her lungs as herself and the demogorgon began to fade away into black dust.

the flashing lights returned to normal before I jumped up from my resting position to then investigate where eleven had disappeared to.

"EL? EL?" I longingly called out for her, the boys joining in too, "EL WHERE ARE YOU?" even more tears streamed down my cheeks as it was now made mandatory for me to face the facts.

eleven was gone and she had disappeared right when I realised that I loved her. not even 20 minutes after our first kiss.. and this made me realise:

how cruel love could be.

how sweet love could be.

and how lost love now is.