chapter 57

-july 3rd 1985-

-reader's pov-

as el and I enjoyed our m&m's, the hospital lobby's lights suddenly began to flicker like batshit crazy. I carefully put the wrapper down before el and I slowly rose from our seats. we gathered together into a group circle in the centre of the lobby whilst gazing up at the buzzing lights. will fearfully raised his hand to the back of his neck, which was covered in goosebumps, "he's here."

we all marched down past the receptionist at her desk, despite her ordering us to stop.

mike jabbed his index figure on the elevator button repeatedly, but it was no use.

"stairs." he announced before we all raced after him, we had no time to loose.

we darted up the stairs and down the bloodied corridors so fast everything almost went blurry. our shoes made a skidding noise once we reached the door that jonathan was pounding a fire extinguisher against. he stepped out of the way before el blew the door off it's hinges with her mind. revealing the huge, fleshy mindflayer towering over poor, defenceless nancy. she whimpered and cowered as the monster dribbled saliva onto her quivering face.

the beast swung around at the sound of the door bursting open. it let out a deafening roar and spit sprayed everywhere.

"jesus." mike breathed.

"what the f-" max began but was cut off by the monster screeching again, it hurtled towards us but before it could do any harm, el threw her arm out. she swung her arm from
side-to-side, making the monster crash into both walls, the ceiling and the floor with a powerful force. a weird feeling of deja-vu washed over me, wait.. was el using my tricks?

the mindflayer regained it's stand up off the floor, it snarled again but el quickly thrusted both arms out with a yell, hurling the grotesque creature right out of the glass window. the window shattered into hundreds and thousands of mini glass shards and the beast fit right through the medium-sized gap.

"-go!" el ordered jonathan, shoving him lightly to go help nancy. the rest of us sprinted back down the stairs and out of the double doors to find the mindflayer's remains sinking down into the drain. it made a sickly squelching noise as we all watched with disgusted faces. the revolting, bloody mess had completely disappeared down the drain, all except from a few couple of human bones that wouldn't fit.

————————————

-july 4th 1985-

I paced the hopper's living room, completely lost in thought until lucas called something out to me.

"y/n, will you please stop pacing?" he begged.

"s-sorry, I'm just.. thinking." I replied, finally stopping with the pacing before slumping down into a chair.

"about what, n/n?" max asked, "el's okay, you're okay, we're all fine. el knows what she's doing in the void, okay?"

"yeah, yeah, I know, but.." I began, "what if like something happens, y'know? like how it happened to me, what would we do then-"

"y/n. nothing is gonna happen." max assured as she grabbed a handful of cereal from the box that lucas held.

meanwhile, nancy was on the phone to people that might know about all of the crazy 'fertiliser eating' stuff, whilst jonathan was looking up numbers that could be useful in the local newspaper. mike and will on the other hand, we're outside talking, I'm not sure about what but they seemed content enough.

I nervously fumbled with my green scrunchie that hadn't moved from my wrist, reentering the same reverie about the groups' safety, mainly el's.

lucas and max's dumb argument about taking more cereal than the other played out at a muted volume in the background of my thoughts. the negative thoughts that I tried pushing away, and it was working until I heard that same alarming voice that had been taunting me quite a bit recently, "013, I know you're fretting what's to come. just join me and you're doomed future will become destined to victory." the chilling words made my bones shudder beneath my skin, there was no way I was joining him, not even over my dead body.

a light tap on my shoulder was what pulled me back to reality, I gasped quietly in shock before turning around to find eleven.

"I found him." she announced as everyone turned to look at her, even mike and will who had entered the cabin in a flirtatious attitude.

"found who?.." nancy inquired.

——————————

static hissing filled the room as el sat in front of the tv, with a blindfold tied around her eyes. rapid and uneasy breaths quivered out of her lips as she focused. suddenly, she pulled the blindfold off and started to pant and gasp for air.

"you good?" I asked whilst leaning closer to her on my chair. she nodded before getting up to go fill a glass of water, she held the glass to her lips before taking a large sip.

"and that's not normal, right?" nancy questioned.

"billy staying in his room on the fourth of july?" max remarked, "no, that's not normal."

"he wants us to find him." lucas announced.

"yeah, that's what I'm afraid of." nancy agreed, "if we go to billy, then the rest of the flayed know where we are."

"it's a trap, I agree." mike added, "we'll be ambushed."

"we won't be surprised, we'll know that they're coming, and we will kick they're flayed butts." lucas said.

"you mean el and y/n will kick they're flayed butts?" max quizzed.

"—we have to find the source." nancy concluded the conversation that I wasn't really listening in on.

"billy knows it." el suddenly announced, now in the room again, "billy's been there. to the source."

"yeah, but-" mike began before being cut short.

"it's a trap, I know." el interrupted, "we can't go to billy, but I think there's another way, a way for me to see where he's been."