chapter 50

-july 1st 1985-

-reader's pov-

max slowly creaked the door to billy's room open before us girls cautiously walked inside. heavy metal music was playing from the radio as we took our first few glances around. many posters decorated the walls along with a dartboard and questionable magazines that were tucked away.

"why do I get the feeling we're gonna find all kinds of wrong in here?" max announced.

"probably because this is your weird older stepbrother's room. I can see weird-ass magazines already.." I replied.

there was a tray of old cigarettes and weights dumped all over the cluttered floor. we took a couple more steps into the room before max went to investigate in one of his bedside table drawers.

"ugh!" she exclaimed once she found 'penthouse' magazines in there, they had.. odd covers, "gag me with a spoon."

el then pondered the room, searching in ever nook and cranny she found until she paused and looked down at something with furrowed eyebrows.

"what is it, el?" I called out to her as I walked closer.

"I think I know what a cosmo is." she told me before pointing down at a certain magazine, with yet again a super weird cover.

"holy shit." I said as my eyebrows raised, "umm.. let's move on." I then kicked the magazine to the side with my foot.

"what was she doing to that guy-" el began.

"-just hugging." I quickly interrupted.

"ohh, okay." she said, relieved to have an understandable answer.

—————————

we then entered the bathroom, el led the way so she was the first to discover the bath that had loads of ice in.

"guys?" she called out whilst peering into the bathtub. max and I turned around and headed over to the bath.

"ice. it's just ice." max said before picking up one of the empty packets that was left afloat in the tub, "it's probably for his muscles or something, he works out like a maniac."

trembling breaths began to escape el's lips as she turned to face the cabinet beneath the sink. I followed her fearful gaze to find that she was staring at a bloodied door handle.

carefully, we all stalked closer before el opened up the mini-doors. she reached her hands into the cabinet before pulling out a small grey box.

"what is it?" max asked from behind her. el lifted a red lifeguard pack from the box before picking up another item.

a yellow whistle that was soaked with a deep crimson blood.

——————————

the rain poured down from the skies above as max, el and I headed to the community pool in our colour-assigned coats. max in yellow, el in red and me in green, just like the scrunchies that were still upon our wrists.

we walked up to the front desk before pulling our hoods down.

"excuse me," max began in an attempt to gain the workers' attention.

"no one in the water until 30 minutes after the last strike." the male worker blankly replied as if he was programmed to do so. he was way too immersed in reading whatever newspaper he had in his hands, "and don't try to argue with me. you wanna get electrocuted, go climb up a tree."

"yeah, we don't care. we're not here to swim," max replied, "or get electrocuted." el then pulled the lifeguard pack from her pocket.

"we found this." she showed the red pack to the man, the two workers carelessly peered up at it.

"does that belong to anybody here?" I inquired.

"oh, yeah." the male worker said, no emotion whatsoever detectable in his voice, "that's heather's. I'll get it back to her."

"we, could give it back to her." el offered.

"you could." the worker replied, "except, she's not here. bailed on me today."

the three of us then shared the same glance between eachother.

"what is this?" the worker questioned, "you girls want a reward or something?"

"no." max shook her head, "we're just.."

"good samaritans." I finished for her with a strong nod of my head.

el's interest was then suddenly piqued by a noticeboard on the wall behind us. with curious eyes, she stalked over with max and I following shortly after. all of us then stared at a polaroid photograph of heather.

"do you think you guys' can find her?" max asked, el turned around to see if the worker's were looking, but they weren't so she ripped the photo from the wall.

—————————

max and I went through all of the shower cubicles, switching all of the showers on to create a loud enough white noise.

el prepared some swimming goggles by applying masking-tape to them. and then once it was all ready, she sat before the picture with the goggles over her eyes.

we all had decided that it was best if I sat this one out, seeing as the last time I entered the void I had a nightmarish encounter with the shadow-monster.

the only noise in the locker rooms was the shower water spraying at the hard ground. other from that we were all left to sit in a chilling silence that lingered about in the cool air.

"what do you see?" max inquired, breaking the creepy silence for a very short moment.

"a door." el replied, her voice broken, "a red door."

then just a few moments later, el ripped the goggles from her head whilst taking big gasps of air. I immediately rushed to her side, where she buried herself within my warmth. muffled sobs and whimpers left her lips as she cried into my shoulder, leaving a damp patch, but I didn't mind.

"it's okay, it's okay.." I cooed into her ear, this seemed to calm her down a little.

"what happened, el?" max asked as she knelt closer, "el!"

el peeled her head off of my shoulder to look max in the eye, still clinging onto me as if for dear-life. they shared a look that told it all, heather was indeed in danger.