chapter 32

-november 1st 1984-

-355 days without eleven-

-reader's pov-

a soft tap on my shoulder caused me to spin around in the blink of an eye, my heels turned until I was face to face with mrs byers.

"y/n, sweetheart.." she noticed the streams of tears that were now dried upon my cheeks, "are you okay?.."

"y-yes.." I trembled before recognising that she was in a panic, "are you?"

"u-um, I'm looking for will.. have you seen him?" she asked at a rapid pace.

"no sorry, but-" I began but was interrupted by dustin, max and lucas hurtling over towards us.

"will! he's on the field!" they all exclaimed before we all darted out through the double doors, onto the grassy school field.

we legged it across the green terrain to where a worried mike stood, shaking what looked like an unconscious will.

"will! will!" joyce called out to her son who was experiencing another episode. he didn't respond, he just continued to stand there blankly with pupil-less eyes which were half-closed.

"sweetie wake up!" she begged whilst vigorously shaking her youngest child, "it's mum! will! wake up!.. can you hear me?"

little did she know, or did anyone know, that will was currently facing his greatest fear that had been looming over him day in day out ever since he vomited that slug up on christmas day 1983. this nightmarish fiend was now squeezing itself into the young boy's soul to take control of his body and his innocence. will could feel the dominance he once had over his body slipping away by the second as the glooming thought crossed his mind.. was he losing himself forever?..

until everything just snapped back, it all happened so suddenly. his eyes shot open as he took a big gasp for air but he didn't feel like himself.. he was no longer will. he could still move his limbs about as he wished but strangely his mind and emotions didn't work the same. millions of frightening new memories flooded his mind, unexplainable memories.. that definitely weren't his.

————————————

joyce carefully led the shaken up will to her murky green-coloured ford pinto.

"okay, that totally freaked me out." max announced whilst we all watched joyce and will enter the car, "did that not freak you guys out?"

"two episodes in two days." lucas stated, completely ignoring max's question.

"-it's getting worse." mike added.

"you think it's true sight?" lucas then asked.

"what's true sight?" max blindly inquired.

"it's nothing." lucas lied as the car's engine came to life with a loud roar before pulling out of the school and speeding down the roads.

————————————

"hey el," I sighed into my walkie, "it's day 355 and um- I know you were at school today.. well at least I'm pretty sure you were anyway because I'm 99% sure I didn't flip max over. anyways, will isn't getting any better.. he had another episode today and it seemed real bad.." my eyesight remained transfixed on the patterned rug as I spoke, "love you, bye.." I then pushed the antennae down before returning the supercomm back to it's usual place in my backpack.

——————————————

slowly, my eyes fluttered open to quickly realise that I was back in this empty, dark void of nothingness. the panging thought of the unsettling voice and huge spider-like figure returning rushed through my head. I mentally prayed for that not to happen but of course, it did happen.

"y/n." the creepy but familiar voice called out, almost in a teasing way.

I knew it was only a dream, or maybe even a nightmare, but that didn't necessarily matter.

a bolt of red lightning struck up high in the empty void, it illuminated this dark space but it brought a sense of danger along with it.

"what do you want from me." I angrily spat out to the voice.

"I want you to help me." the voice replied, "but in order to do so, we must work together, because together we are capable of incredible-"

"no." I interrupted the masculine voice, "no because I know exactly who you are. you're the stupid fucker that's possessing will and-"

suddenly, I was no longer in the strange void place, I was instead sat up-right on my bed with sweat dripping down my face. a long sigh whistled through my lips as I flopped back down onto my bed, god why was this villain dude so needy??

—————————————

-november 2nd 1984-

-356 days without eleven-

it was 8:30AM and I already found myself wedged in a large garbage container with lucas, it's really not very self explanatory, so basically we were looking for dart. at the sound of dustin's voice, lucas and I shared a pissed look before clambering out of the trash.

"well, well, well." lucas spoke, obviously annoyed, "look who finally decided to show up. after y/n and I drew the short straw, real convenient."

"you guys stink." max announced whilst I pulled a mouldy orange peel off of my shirt.

she repositioned herself to stand by dustin, "hi max." he grinned but it was a super awkward.

"hi?" she replied but it sounded more like she was asking a question.

"where's will?" dustin then asked.

"he'll be here." mike assured.

"are you just gonna stand there?" lucas grunted before chucking a large stick to dustin, "or you gonna help?"

——————————————

"anything?" yelled lucas as mike jogged back over to us after calling the byers' house at break.

"we need to talk." he responded, "AV room, right now." we all got up and began to follow him to the entrance doors until he paused and turned back to max, "party members only."

"cmon man." I commented, finding his decision unfair.

"yeah cmon." dustin urged.

"no! this is non-negotiable." he sternly answered before entering the building.

"sorry." dustin, lucas and I apologised in unison whilst I gave her a sympathetic expression. I knew how being left out felt, especially after halloween the other day.