chapter 59

-july 4th 1985-

-reader's pov-

"holy shit."

and then with another screech came another tentacle, this one having a head. with quick-thinking, el threw her right arm out and caught it midair. it began to shrivel and squirm about under her grip, until another one of the gross tentacles burst into the room. she caught that one with her spare left arm, her head swung from side-to-side in panic as she dealt with the creatures, that were squirming to get to her. they cried out in pain as el used her powers to defeat them, and then with one smooth pull of her arms, both of the tentacles lost their heads and the headless tentacles swooped back through the holes in the walls.

el stood there, panting heavily as she tried to regain a controlled breathing level until a much larger tentacle came crashing through the wooden ceiling. it grabbed ahold of her ankle and swung her backwards, but this wasn't any other tentacle, it was the mindflayer's tongue. she screamed out whilst flopping over before being pulled up into the air, edging very closer to the mindflayer's gaping mouth, which was lined with
blazer-sharp teeth.

"EL!" I yelled whilst darting forwards and tightly grabbing her arms. I tugged and tugged at her, not in a million years would I ever give up on her, "EL!"

max, mike, will and jonathan quickly raced over to help too, they pulled and pulled at her along with me.

"I'M NOT GONNA LET GO, OKAY?" I assured eleven, who genuinely thought she was about to die, "EVERYBODY KEEP PULLING!"

"NANCY! SHOOT IT!" jonathan ordered as he continued to hold onto el.

the monster snarled as el screamed, her brown hair swaying everywhere as she tried to free herself. but then thankfully, the sound of a gunshot rang through my distressed ears. nancy shot at the beast's face, but it barely harmed it, it only enraged it even more.

"LUCAS! DO SOMETHING!" max yelled out, lucas then quickly grabbed jonathan's discarded axe. he jumped up onto a fallen desk before gashing at the mindflayer's rampaging tongue multiple times. nancy continued to fire bullets, lucas continued to slash and the rest of us continued to pull at eleven's arms. steaming-hot tears welled in my eyes and burned my eyelids as I was forced to watch my lover basically be snatched away from me and be brutally killed by some bastard monster. I was so distracted and distraught by eleven being pulled away, I almost forgot I had superpowers. so I half-focused on tugging at el's arms and also
half-focused on helping lucas slit the tongue open. the tongue began to tear even more as I concentrated harder and as lucas threw more strong lashes with the axe.

we were almost there, lucas hit the axe against the wriggling tongue one last time and it completely cut in two. one half slumping limp to the floor and the other slithering away.

my body acted as a cushion to el's as we both fell to the floor, "el, el? are you okay?" I sobbed as I softly cradled her. she didn't reply, but her eyes told it all, she was in pain. I looked down to inspect her for injuries, there was still a large bit of the tongue munching at her left shin.

"her leg!" I loudly announced before sitting up and yanking at the creature. el screeched out in an unimaginable pain as I pulled the monster from her leg. "I'm- I'm so sorry." I panicked before turning back to her, "I- I-" but now was not the time for apologies, for the monster had returned. it peeked it's huge head through the wide gap in the ceiling. and I really don't know how, but el managed to stand up and look the monster dead in the eye, or well, where it's eyes should be.

her leg weeped with blood and sweat and tears soaked her face as she panted out before stumbling closer to the mindflayer. the beast roared and el thrusted both of her arms out with blaring battle-cry. the monster thudded backwards as it's head began to slice up into two pieces. gunk and the mindflayer's slimy blood poured everywhere before el abruptly returned her arms to her sides as the monster's face completely split into two. completely exhausted and barely able to function, el collapsed into my open arms.

"GO! GO! GO! COME ON!" everyone yelled at eachother as we raced outside, to nancy's car.

"FUCKING HELL!!" I cried out whilst carefully shoving el's almost limp body into the trunk. I then quickly climbed in after her before ripping a sleeve off my shirt and tightly wrapping it around her leg, that still oozed with blood.

"DRIVE!" mike demanded from his seat in the second row and the very next second, nancy slammed her foot down onto the accelerator and off the car zoomed.

poor el wailed in pain as she went to feel her covered up injury. "n-no, don't touch it, hun." I soothed whilst gently pulling her shaking hand away. she firmly gripped my hand, in desperate need of any comfort. I then placed my other hand on top of her's. "it's gonna be okay, you're gonna be okay, sweetheart." I assured as I felt even more tears form in my eyes. el then nuzzled into my side as she sobbed, I comfortingly wrapped my free arm around her as she bravely fought through the pain and solace.

"did I do a g-good job?" she quivered with a quiet hiccup.

"better than any of us." I beamed down at her with a bittersweet smile. it hurt me so much to see her in this much pain, my heart ached and I would do anything to swap places with her right now. I'd take all of the pain that she was facing just so she could be okay, because I really, truly love her.