chapter 64

-july 4th 1985-

-reader's pov-

"griswold family, I repeat, this is scoops troop, do you—" dustin's crackling voice was cut off by the mindflayer picking up the walkie and shrieking into the speaker. it lazily chucked the walkie across the room and it smashed into an illuminated food stall sign.

el, max and I silently knelt behind a small counter, trying our best to not make a single sound, even breathing was a struggle. I bit my bottom lip as my heart skipped multiple beats, the monster was approaching closer and closer.

slowly, I peeked from above the counter to discover the monster's whereabouts. it was currently on the other side of the mall. I then knelt back down before whispering to el and max, "it's on the other side of the mall, if we go up the stairs now, we'll make it."

"-no way, not with el's leg." max shook her head.

"we have to try, max-" I began in a whisper but el interrupted.

"there's another way.." she said, "to get out, through the gap."

I thought about it for a short second before agreeing, "okay.. now." I grabbed el's hand and pulled her up. us three girls silently sprinted across to the gap, we made our way through the shattered window but gasped when a manikin was knocked over. it created a loud noise, which caused the bloodthirsty mindflayer to twist its abnormally-large head towards the store. it stormed its way over before thudding one of its six legs down, sending lots of little tentacles around the store to investigate if there was any people here.

the tentacles chittered out, before one of them grabbed ahold of a manikin, thinking it was eleven, due to the same aztec, yellow shirt. the tentacle pulled it to the face of the mindflayer, the monster screeched into the lifeless manikin's face before tossing it away like a baseball.

the three of us backed away in fear as the manikin fell to the ground beside us. I squeezed el's hand even tighter as I thought about the dreaded possibility that we could end up like the manikin, except we're not lifeless like the manikin, yet.

the other tentacles continued to slither and snake around the corners and bends of the store. their eager, eagle-like senses activated as they searched.

one of the wreathing tentacles suddenly began to appear from around the side of the counter that we were hid behind. protectively, I held my two arms out, in front of el and max. my eyebrows furrowed as I prepared to use my powers, I was just waiting for the right moment to do so, until, a loud popping noise came from afar. the mindflayer snarled as it twisted its head towards the source of the sound. it pulled its tentacles out of the store before marching over to the popped balloon.

"let's go." I announced in a whisper as the three of us leapt up and raced in the direction of the emergency exit.

———————

el limped along with max and I's aid to the metal gates that slowly creaked open with a buzzing sound. we all stumbled through, looking like a bunch of drunk idiots until we paused in our tracks. billy hargrove was stood, covered in familiar
inky-veins, next to his car that was quite literally on fire.

"shit." max grunted.

"go, go, go, go, go!" I repeated whilst we turned around, and rushed back into the mall.

we all panted whilst jogging as fast as possible, through the unknown and hidden back-corridors of the mall.

the lights ominously flickered and sparked, eventually we reached an end to the what seemed like a maze of neverending corridors.

"in here, in here." I said as I ushered the girls to where the elevator was located before jabbing a finger on the button, "come on, come on!"

max then walked away from el and I to inspect what the pounding footsteps were. "billy," she trembled with a shaky voice, "billy, you don't have to do this.."

"max, get away from him." I warned as we still awaited the elevator.

"billy, your name is billy hargrove." she continued, choosing to ignore me, "you live on 4819 cherry lane. billy, please, I'm max, I'm your-" but max's pleading voice was cut off by billy slapping her in the face, showing no mercy at all.

"YOU BASTARD!" I yelled at him as I stomped forwards. I thrusted my arm out, only for him to grab it and twist it in away it's never been twisted before. "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" I cried out in pain whilst falling to my knees.

"Y/N!" el yelped before kneeling to my side, only to be punched square in the face by billy, knocking her out cold.

"YOU GODDAMN BITCH! BURN IN HELL-" I began to rage until billy booted a heavy foot into my forehead. and everything went black.

————————

as I awoke, my head felt as if it was spinning at a million miles per hour and a painful ringing noise was echoing in my ears. I mumbled out some random words as my eyes adjusted to their surroundings. I looked down to find myself tied around a pillar, with my feet dangling and my arms around my back, as well as my wrists being tied together. I then lifted my head upwards, to look straight, but what I saw made me gasp out in fear. poor, defenceless eleven was lay out on the floor, barely moving herself, as the huge mindflayer stalked down over her.

"no.. no, no, no.." I mumbled as the anger began to flare up within me.

'I warned you, y/n. you have to watch, all of them. every single last one of them. every person you've ever loved, will be killed and you have to watch, and you cannot do anything about it.' the shadow monster's twisted voice teased in the depths of my mind. but I wasn't giving in, there was no way.

the monster hissed as it's tongue creeped out of it's gob, etching towards eleven, as she cowered away.

the rope that was tied around my wrists began to unravel, as I used my powers on it. I was running out of time to save eleven, until the most craziest thing happened. a firework suddenly hit the monster, and that was when I realised.

I realised lucas sinclair was an absolute genius.