chapter 20

-november 12th 1983-

-reader's pov-

"will you stop that?!" mike groaned as dustin kept on pacing back and forth on the tightly-packed bus.

"it's been way too long," dustin responded whilst also stopping his irritating pacing, "y'know what? maybe you're right, maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!"

"it's not a trap!" lucas argued, "why would the chief set us up? nancy, maybe, but the chief?"

"lando calrissian," dustin pointed whilst mike and I gestured with our arms at the mention of nancy setting us up.

"would you shut up about lando?" lucas complained.

"I don't feel good about this," dustin spoke before lowering himself to lucas' level, "I don't feel good about this!"

"when do you ever feel good about anything?!" lucas yelled back, right in his face.

"I swear to god." I quietly mumbled to myself but then vehicles approaching could be heard in the distance.

everyone immediately raced to the front of the bus to find two black cars pulling up into the junkyard.

"shit!" dustin cried out before we all took cover in the back of the bus again.

"lando." dustin repeated himself.

"you think they saw us?" lucas worriedly asked.

"everyone shut up, they will hear us if we're making a huge racket!" I scolded in a whisper.

my fingers unknowingly fidgeted in fear as I continued to stare holes into the bus door, as if I was expecting a large suited man, armed with a gun to shoot us all dead.

el suddenly placed a gentle hand upon my shaky one, my hand instantly relaxed and intertwined with her fingers instead of fumbling about.

then the sound I had been dreading for the last two minutes occurred. the bus door slowly began to creek open until it abruptly stopped and a thudding noise, followed by a deep grunt could be heard.

it was the sound of men fighting,
fist-fighting. I clutched onto el's hand even tighter as the door fully opened. we all raised to our feet to look at whoever just entered the bus.

and thank god it was jim hopper.

"all right, let's go." he ordered gruffly but nobody moved a muscle, "let's go!" he repeated himself but in a much more deeper tone.

this time we followed his instructions and scrambled after him with our backpacks in hand.

——————————

hopper had driven us all to joyce's house in his large police car, el and I's hands had remained together through the whole journey up until now.

"mike! y/n!" nancy called out as she ran towards mike and I.

"nance!" I exclaimed before she engulfed us both in a tight, lovingly hug.

"I was so worried about you both," she informed after pulling out of the hug.

"yeah.. um, us too?" mike replied but it came out more as a question than anything.

nancy's eyes were then pulled to eleven, who shyly stood beside the truck.

"is that my dress?" she questioned.

——————————

mike had just finished explaining the 'acrobat and the flea' theory to joyce, jonathan, nancy and hopper.

"this gate that you're talking about.. is it underground?" hopper asked from his slouched position on the chair.

"yes." el answered him.

"near a large water tank?" hopper added.

"yes." el repeated.

"h-how do you know all that?" dustin stammered.

"he's seen it." I told dustin.

"is there any way that you could.. that you could reach will? that you could talk to him in this-" joyce began but el finished for her.

"-the upside down." el spoke.

"down, yeah.." mrs byers trembled.

"and my friend barbara? can you find her too?" nancy asked.

el didn't respond, she just gave her a strange look.

——————————

we were all surrounding the byers' dinner table as el searched for will in her mind place.

static filled the room as we all patiently waited, hopper continuing to give me funny glances as my fixated gaze remained on el.

the table light above us began to flicker and we all stared up at it until el's eyes opened.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice scarcely above a whisper.

"what?.." joyce's facial expressions which once showed a glimpse of hope faded in an instant before turning to a look that only showed disappointment and despair, "what's wrong? what happened?"

"I can't find them," el replied as her voice began to break, she tried to silence the sobs that desperately urged and longed to escape her lips.

——————————

"you're gonna want this, kid." hopper announced as he walked over to me, a folder in his hand.

"what is it?.." I asked him whilst taking the file from his hands.

"it's 'bout you, your.. lab past." he tried his best to sum it up in the best way possible but then as I went to turn open the first page and read through it, he stopped me.

"not here," he shook his head whilst softly tapping the papers, "save it for another time."

"alright," I said whilst nodding in response and slipping the folder into my backpack and redoing the zip up.

"whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak." mike informed everyone, this caused hopper and I's attention to be pulled to him.

"the more energy she uses, the more tired she gets." dustin added.

"like, she flipped over a van earlier." lucas explained.

"it was awesome," a wide-eyed dustin grinned.

"-but she's drained." mike spoke.

"like a bad battery." dustin explained, using a good metaphor.

"well, how do we make her better?.." joyce trembled.

"we don't," mike began, "we just have to wait and try again."

"well, would this happen to
y/n?.. because y'know.." jonathan asked with a slight stutter.

"we- don't know.." lucas replied, "but I'm assuming so yes, because they're obviously both from the lab."

"the bath." el's voice caused everyone to look at her.

"what?" joyce softly spoke, her tone light and shaky.

"I can find them.." el stated with a confident demeanour, "in the bath."