Seventy-Six

08.21.2023 — This is a chapter in a SIX part update, along with chapters 73, 74, 75, 77 & 78. Make sure to read chapter 73 first!

It was nearly two in the morning when Katherine walked through the large revolving doors into the lobby with a massive knot of nerves in her stomach

It was nearly two in the morning when Katherine walked through the large revolving doors into the lobby with a massive knot of nerves in her stomach. She had no idea how she was going to get through the rest of the night.

"Good evening, Miss Mason," the night security guard greeted her as she walked in.

"Good evening, Mr. Davis," she replied, smiling pleasantly at him.

"Mr. Styles insisted I call up when you arrived home," he told her, looking apologetic.

"If you must," she agreed with a nod, knowing she didn't want to get him in trouble with Harry if he didn't follow through on his wishes.

"Have a good night," she said in parting words as she walked toward the bank of elevators.

"Goodnight, Miss Mason," he called out as he picked up the phone to do Mr. Styles' bidding.

Just as the elevator doors were closing with her inside, she heard Mr. Davis on the phone with Harry, telling him that she was home. She was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed, but knew it wouldn't be possible. She knew she had to deal with Harry and the situation he had put her in that evening.

She quickly sent a text to her cousin Christine to let her know she made it home safely and that Aaron was on his way home. She stowed her phone in her purse again before bending down to slip her black patent leather Jimmy Choo high heels off her feet, carrying them with her.

When the elevator doors opened, Katherine's vision immediately met with Harry's as he stood in the doorway of the penthouse waiting for her.

"Katherine. Fucking hell. Where have you been?" Harry asked exasperated as she stepped out of the elevator.

As soon as she saw his face, she knew she was still upset about what happened, even if she had somewhat settled down about it. She sighed, walking toward him, but her gaze dropped away from his.

"I'm tired, Harry," she muttered as he moved out of the doorway to let her in the house.

"Where have you been?" He asked again, this time a little more impatiently as he shut the front door.

She didn't have the energy left inside of her to fight with him, or to even talk about it. She just wanted to go to bed.

"Out," she said vaguely, avoiding even looking in his direction.

"Katherine," he growled through his teeth and she knew he was demanding an answer even if he didn't say the words out loud.

"I was at Christine's," she snapped at him before shaking her head, her annoyance growing inside of her.