Eighty-Three

08.25.2023 — This is a chapter in a four part update, along with chapters 82, 84 & 85. Make sure to read chapter 82 first!

 Make sure to read chapter 82 first!

"Bates, get in here. Now," Harry barked into the phone at his second-in-charge.

Less than a minute later, Bates appeared in the doorway of his office, looking at Harry for direction.

"In. Here. Now," Harry snapped, pointing to the seat in front of his desk.

"Sir," Bates said with a nod as he complied immediately, slinking into the room to stand in front of the desk.

Harry stood up and leaned toward the top of the desk, stilting his fingers to hold himself upright, making himself appear more intimidating. He stared straight at Bates for a few long moments, trying to rein in the anger he felt over what happened the day before.

Bates was with Katherine when Harry's mother approached them. He had every power in him to shut it down, to redirect Katherine and bring her home. And even after he failed to do that, he allowed Katherine to bring that fucking woman into his house. A complete fucking stranger.

What kind of security guard does something like that? Bates didn't know that woman. For all he knew, she could have been a con-artist trying to worm her way into the billionaire's home. And he fucking allowed it.

To Harry, his mother was a villain. She was and would always be just another villain in the story of his life.

He'll admit he was a bit relieved to see that she wasn't dead, that she hadn't been murdered by his father all those years ago. But no other relief went beyond that thought. Because beyond that thought he now knew that his mother left him and his sister on purpose.

She left her children in the hands of their abusive father for her own selfish fucking reasons. And her standing in front of him crying and saying how desperately sorry she was meant fuck-all to him. She wasn't dead, but she sure as hell was fucking dead to him.

"Sir, about yesterday—"

"Ta gueule. Shut your mouth," Harry snapped, causing Bates to do just that.

"You've worked for me for almost four years. All the way from the UK, Bates. And in that time, I have never seen you do something so utterly fucking stupid—" Harry growled, cutting himself off as he reached up to run his hand through his hair before turning away from him, "For fuck's sake."

He knew he still wasn't in the best frame of mind and it probably wasn't the proper time to be having this conversation. But it was happening nevertheless.

"I'm sorry, sir," Bates apologized, but it just caused the anger to flare up inside of him.

"You fucking will be sorry next time!" Harry snapped as he turned and pointed his finger indignantly at him.