Chapter 1: School & History

Cody's POV

I walk up the steps of the school, grateful that's there's only one month until my eighteenth birthday, and four before I can graduate and leave this place for good.

As I walk past the office I feel my shoulder bump into someone and there's a small spark that shocks my shoulder. I turn my head, curious and caught off guard by the strange feeling, only to see the next Alpha of my pack, James Claw. Thinking it was just an electric shot and not wanting to draw any attention to myself I shake it off and ignore the half interaction, staying on track to just get to my locker with as little attention as posible.

I fix my glasses on my nose, doing my best to ignore the students around me, crowds and people talking making my anxiety skyrocket, the noise always overwhelming to the point of tears. Something I used to tirelessly get teased about as a kid. I follow the same path to my locker I have every day for the past four years, doing my best to blend in with the background, wanting my morning as calm and smooth as possible.

I finally arrive at my locker, but before I put in the combination, I pause to look around, turning back towards my stuff with a small huff once I see no one is coming.

I slide my book bag off of my back and empty it, hanging my bag on the hook hanging from the top of my locker, and grabbing the four books I need for my first half of classes.

Before I can grab my sweater and close the door, I feel a presence behind me just as the smell of cloves and jasemine washing over me just as an arm reaches around me to grab my sweater. I close my locker before turning around to playfully glare at my friend Taylor, an Earth Faerie. "You're late." I grumble quietly, closing the door to my locker, but Taylor just laughs and shrugs his shoulders.

"Give me a break, Codes, it's only two minutes." He says before dramatically presenting the way towards my first class, American History.

I chose to ignore him and instead grab for the strap hanging from his bookbag. My shoulders relax with Taylor here, the Faerie being by my side and helping me since I started school and he was just a sophomore. Most teens are able to graduate in four years like most humans do, but those who are next in line for leading positions in their communities have to take an extra two years do classes to help them get prepared. Taylor, though he doesn't like to admit it, is the younger brother of the Delwyn Wells, the leader of the Earth Faeries. Even though his brother will eventually create his heir, he insisted on Taylor taking the courses like he did in school. There's no complaining from me, if anything it helped to have Taylor around until my last year.

Especially since this year I'll find my Mate.

Maybe.

The idea alone has me on edge so I stop thinking about it, instead focusing on the familiar route that Taylor leads us down, the door of my classroom coming up quickly, just in time for the warning bell to ring signaling two minutes to get to class.

I let go of Taylor's bookbag as just as we near the door. He places my sweater into my shoulder and nods for my to go to class. I roll my eyes but comply, knowing that Taylor won't leave until I'm settled in my seat, his tardy record a testimony to that despite my protest. I make my way through the threshold, avoiding peoples feet and things that litter the aisle, not wanting to create any more interaction than absolutely necessary. I finally make it to my seat in the back of the room, sliding my sweater on to the back of my chair before taking a seat. I look up just in time to see Taylor wave and turn to walk off towards his own first period, Leadership development being on the other side of the East Wing of the school.

The rest of the student trickle in as I take my textbook from my stack of books and push the rest to the side. I pull out a pen and flip to a fresh page just as the final bell rings as the teacher Ms. Mary walks into the classroom, her grey heels matching her pantsuit. Her hair is slicked back into a low bun, a few hairs espacing at her nape, cores feet along the sides of her eyes showing just how joyful the woman is, one of the most beloved teachers in school.