Chapter 41: Preparation & Relenting

James' POV

With everything going on, and the threats we could no longer manage, Cody, Zee, Alex and the Commanders agreed to take the matters to the Elder Council.

It's been a week since the last meeting, and the Elders are already trying to plan Cody and I's Coming of Power Ceremony. Cody told me he felt uneasy trying to plan something so important in the face of so much uncertainty, and it's hard to explain that to the Council without explaining everything.

It wasn't something that I wanted to do, but I also understand that this is growing beyond our control and management. Plus, I can't dispatch the Autumn Warriors without permission from the Elders, so sooner or later, the conversation has to be had. As I get ready in the Alpha suite, doing my best to remember how to tie a tie, I try to calm my nerves that leave my hands shaking like leaves.

Cody is in Zee's office getting a refreshment of all the Councilmembers, giving him all the key details so he understands what's going on.

I find myself selfishly wishing that I had asked him or Jessie to stay with me, frustration over the complicated choking hazard overwhelming me as I rip the offensive garment off and throw it onto the ground with an annoyed growl.

"Something told me to come check on you. Always falling apart." I hear from behind me, and I can't help the chuckle that Alex always manages to pull out of me.

"Whatever, asshole, we both know you're the one that freezes under pressure." I point out, deciding that the collared shirt option works better than the button down monkey suit anyway.

Alex scoffs, rolling his eyes as he pushes me out of the way of my own mirror just to flex. I shake my head as I laugh, but I don't fail to notice the way he always knows how to help me relax and lighten up when I take things and sometimes even myself too seriously. He's my best friend, my Beta, and after growing up alone and shunning Sloan for a few years, Alex has always been like a brother. And maybe it's that reminder, or the way he came to check on me that I feel compelled to say;

"Hey, you're going to meet your Mate, soon. Don't give up, okay?" I tell him earnestly, not just because in my gut I believe it, but because I pray that one day Alex will be able to experience even a tenth of the joy that was stolen from him.

For a second he pauses, and it almost seems like his eyes are misting up before he's laughing, rolling his eyes at me as he mocks me. "Meh, I'm James and I think everyone's jealous of me because I'm whipped." He teases in a high pitched voice. I laugh and we continue to give each other shit as I finish getting ready and the two of us head down stairs, but I know that he heard me before and that it meant a lot.

'Cody, baby, Alex and I are heading to you.' I let him know, the excitement and comfort of being able to reach Cody so intimately, still fresh.

When we reach the second floor, Cody and Zee are already going out of the office, Charlotte behind them. As much as I would love to have them here, my Commanders aren't allowed in the meeting, only Head Warrior Jeffery is permitted.

While he's only older than me by five years, Jeffery and I never had much contact with each other. All I know is that he was handpicked by my dad after Cody's father died, at the youngest recorded age of eighteen, to be the Head Warrior of the pack. The council voted him in and that was that. Whether it was to protect himself or to keep his grip on me absolute, my father wanted to do all of my training himself. I hardly new any of the other commanders before I picked my own, chosen from the highest ranking wolves with the best scores.

But I have yet to truly talk to the man.

And I'm not sure I really want to.

Guilty by association and all that.