Chapter 57: Paradise & Goodbyes

James' POV

The gentle light of the sun kisses against my eyelids stirring me from sleep as my eyes try to blink it away.

It takes my second for my brian to process where I am, the warm soft body of Cody snuggling into me feeling perfect as I realize we got to spend the first night in our new home last night.

After finally getting the ceremony over with, I've been working hours on end day after day to get the house done as soon as possible, growing more and more irritated of the Pack House and lack of privacy by the day. So yesterday, as soon as it was finished, I took the time to move in our clothes and all out things from the packhouse, Cody having being relieved when he realized I handled all the work and he just got to enjoy the house.

And now, now finally Cody and I have our own space, our own little paradise tucked away in our little corner of the woods, our clearing and the lake within view of our backyard. To say it feels surreal would be a gross understatement.

I happily continue to cuddle Cody as the sun continues to rising, the quiet and peace soothing, the sliding door heading out onto the large deck giving me a perfect view of the wildlife that wanders into our yard. It's a little while later when Cody finally begins to stir. He slowly opens his eyes as he stretches, his gaze finding mine open and waiting.

He smiles softly at me before kissing my chest that has become his pillow sometime in the night. He looks around at our room, gazing out of the same door I was with an expression that can only be labeled as 'bliss'.

"It wasn't a dream." He whispers dreamily and I laugh, burying my face in his hair, pulling in his sweet scent.

"Nope." Is my only answer. Because I get what he's unable to say. After going through so much for so long, after a while your standards of what you deserve or are able to get starts to lower until you have none at all. For me, my only hope is that I would one day find someone that could handle being Luna and accepted Sloan. The bare minimum was the only dream I had. The one that kept me from drowning.

So to be here.

In a reality that didn't have a hope of existing in my mind, I almost feel like I shouldn't be here. But in my heart I know I should. We should. We both deserve this happiness. This reality. This future.

And I won't let anyone threaten to take it from us again.

"I'm hungry." My bean groans after a while and I kiss the top of his head before having him get up.

"Alright, come on. Let's go make breakfast then." I tell him with a smile and his eyes light up. My baby has always struggle with eating ever since he was a kid, but after his parents died it got so much worse.

There's certain foods and certain times of day that's easier for him to eat and I try my best to cater to that, and with our own kitchen, I don't have to worry about him not eating anymore because someone took the snacks he likes or there's too many people in the kitchen.  I can see the truth of that settling in as we make our way from our bedroom towards the kitchen, the large fridge stocked with everything I listed to my Commanders, the three claiming they wanted to do something for the Luna.

We take the morning slow, Cody sitting at the island as I make the both of us omelettes, chopping the veggies and whisking the eggs as we just talk. Connect. Live.

An hour later we're done with breakfast and help each other clean up the kitchen before I finally look at the clock again, having to address the part of the day I wanted to forget about.

Cody comes up to me, grabbing my hand in his and rubbing his thumb across the back softly. "It's time to get ready." He tells me gently and I nod, letting me pull me towards the en suite bathroom to shower and get ready.