Chapter 2: Loneliness & Interest

James' POV

   "As all of you know, this is your last semester before you all graduate and are able to fully step into your leadership roles. That means for the next few months, we will be making sure you're all able to make capable, well educated decisions for the well-being of not just a select few, but your whole community." Mr. Hanson explains, and I feel the anxiety crawl up my throat, my stomachs churning at the thought.

'You're always worrying.' Sloan grumbles but I ignore him, instead looking towards my friend Alex who looks just as over this conversation as I am.

  At the end of this school year I will finally become Alpha of the Autumn Falls pack, taking over for my father, the Alpha mantle being in my family for over six generations. And Alex is to be my Beta, though he won't have his old man there to help me step into this new part of our lives. I don't know whether to pity him or be jealous. I look around at the rest of the room, filled with people who will also be taking on mantles.

   Most dances are unfamiliar to me, though two I've known since Alex and I started school. Princess Artemis and her brother Prince Jasper are the heirs to the Faerie throne. And while Jasper is the oldest, apparently he chose to pass on the crown to Artemis who seems to have resented the present he forced on to her. I watch as the two of them bicker quietly, Jasper always finding some way to get under an otherwise chill Artemis' skin.

   I sigh to myself as I realize that horrible fate all of us share: Alex, Artemis, Jasper and I alike have never met our Soulmates. We're all nineteen, just months away from becoming twenty and becoming leaders to entire city populations that lectured and classes can only do so much to prepare you for. They say that having a Soulmate makes things easier. Not the tasks or the responsibilities or the weight of thousands of people depending on you, but the strain that it can cause on the soul. They say your Soulmate helps you become a better person, they help you grow and reach your full potential. They're meant to be the spark that sets you aflame.

   And without them by my side even after almost two years of waiting, all I can think is that I'm entirely unprepared to take on this responsibility.

   Not if I'm not even worthy of a Soulmate.

  I cast the thoughts aside, shaking my head at myself for getting so down, and zone by into the world just in time for the bell to go off. My chest caves with relief as everyone starts to gather their things and stand, me going to follow suit after taking a calming breath.

   "Hey, man, you good. You don't look so good." I hear and I turn my head to see Alex standing beside my desk studying my face but I laugh it off and wave him away.

   "Nah, I'm fine, stop staring it's creepy." I tell him, but Sloan snorts in disagreement.

   'It's just his face, trust me, I've tried to tell him about it, too.' He mumbles in agreement with Alex and I scoff.

   'You have a big mouth for someone who can't eat chocolate.' I mock him, always loving that whenever he's in control, Sloan break out in hives when having his favorite snack. I would like to think it's karma for all the drama he ensues.

   'You're a cruel man.' He chastises me and I chuckle as Artemis and Jasper make their way toward the front of the room where Alex and I wait.

   "Ready for lunch?" Art asks, and Alex nods.

   "Hell yeah, I'm starving." He agrees as they head towards the door, but I don't match pace, going to lag behind, but Jasper notices, turning back with a raised brow.

  "Not coming?" He asks but I wave him off as Alex and Artemis pause in the doorway.

   "Ah, Jessica should be here soon, I'm walking with her to lunch." I admit and while Alex rolls his eyes and Art's brows furrow, they don't say anything, but nod and call back that they'll meet me there. Jasper follows suit, and once they're gone I enter the hallway, leaning against the wall beside the door to wait.